Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you shred papers?

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 8:51 PM
  • 48 Replies

I've read that these should be shredded or burned:

anything with the following

Social Security number (even just the last 4 digits)

Birth date

credit card numbers

account numbers from financial institution

medical insurance numbers

by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taKENheart
by Flovely on Oct. 22, 2016 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

We used to.  I think it went dull so we stopped using it.  We don't really get much that we would have to shred these days.

diaperstodating
by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes I do.
We shred everything that needs to be shredded as soon as possible.
shadowmoon
by on Oct. 23, 2016 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this

No.  I don't even have a shredder and my husband's country doesn't issue their citizens social security numbers so I don't think they have to worry about identity theft.   I think the only thing my husband pays by check is the rent every six months, as they don't do monthly rent in his country, they do every six months of rent.  At least the apartments my husband rents anyway.  I think his other bills are done through his Saudi bank card.

We did have a shredder when we were living in Toledo but rarely used it.  We sold it before moving to Pittsburg, KS for his master's degree in 2008.

We burn boxes of anything important (computers/laptops, gaming systems, HD televisions, the books I buy via Amazon) in the firepit at my grandmother's OR we keep them in the shop and then bring them out to fuel the fire in the wood stove.  But so far we haven't had to start a fire in the wood stove yet.

Truth_spiller
by Member on Oct. 23, 2016 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
We do.
Masterchefmom
by Member on Oct. 23, 2016 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't have a social security number but I do shred things with most of that other information. Also anything I just dont need anymore
Bmat
by Emerald Member on Oct. 23, 2016 at 10:55 AM

Burning seems a good idea, I like it even better than shredding. Why not use the paper as tinder. :)

Quoting shadowmoon:

No.  I don't even have a shredder and my husband's country doesn't issue their citizens social security numbers so I don't think they have to worry about identity theft.   I think the only thing my husband pays by check is the rent every six months, as they don't do monthly rent in his country, they do every six months of rent.  At least the apartments my husband rents anyway.  I think his other bills are done through his Saudi bank card.

We did have a shredder when we were living in Toledo but rarely used it.  We sold it before moving to Pittsburg, KS for his master's degree in 2008.

We burn boxes of anything important (computers/laptops, gaming systems, HD televisions, the books I buy via Amazon) in the firepit at my grandmother's OR we keep them in the shop and then bring them out to fuel the fire in the wood stove.  But so far we haven't had to start a fire in the wood stove yet.

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Oct. 23, 2016 at 10:56 AM

We found a place that a couple times a year shreds paper for free. Last time we had a good sized amount of paper shredded, we had to pay.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Oct. 23, 2016 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. I use the shredder at my job.
cowboygal
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2016 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. We shred anything with names on it, old school papers included when they went to public school, receipts we used charge cards or debit card with, medical we done with, credit card offers. Dad takes the shredded paper home when he visits and uses it as starter in the fireplace at his house.
MonarchMom22
by on Oct. 23, 2016 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

yes.  Have a shredder next to the desk where I open the mail.  Everything sensitive either gets filed or goes right  in the shredder. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)