Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No dog.

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 4:30 PM
  • 13 Replies
We have 2 cats one is very skiddish. Hides and hardly comes out. We had a dog here for one day and the cats freaked, smacked the kids when they were trying to pet them. I know that's normal for a bit, but our cats are skiddish. We also have four feral cats outside.
Mother in law lives with us , she wants a dog. I told everyone no!. But everyone ignores me. What can I do? Say? I'm sure the cats will poop all over. Help me please. Thank you..
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
onethentwins
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell them no means no.  It's your house, no dogs. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:28 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Sapphire Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:42 PM

Either you give it a fair try or tell them when you say no, no means no :)

babyboxfish
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:35 PM

agreed

Quoting onethentwins:

Tell them no means no.  It's your house, no dogs. 

redheadtmk
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:45 PM

I would make it clear that you are against the idea, and that if they dare to go against you and bring home a dog that you will not do one bit of cleaning up after the cats when they freak out and crap everywhere but everyone else damn well better do it immediately, that mil will have to pay to replace anything the cats or dog ruins, and that if the cats dont adjust within a week you will get rid of the dog. If momma aint happy, nobody is happy and I would make my family very unhappy if they brought home a dog against my wishes.

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:18 PM

Your house, your rules. If MIL pays for her lodging, then she should be allowed to have a dog in her area. Just my thoughts on this.

momofsixangels
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:00 PM
We have 3 older cats ,a kitten and a dog. Our 3 cats are all 7 years old. We adopted our dog in April. She is 5 years old. We adopted our kitten in sept. She is 6 months old. They all get along OK but sometimes there is hissing. I would love another dog
AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:45 PM
2 moms liked this
It sounds like the cats are the problem really.
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:16 PM
The cats seem to be a bit hyper?
luvnature
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:16 PM

ANY pets will act out at the begining when you bring a new pet in the house.....that is NORMAL behaviour. You NEED to give a new pet MORE than only one day. It takes at least a few weeks for a new pet to feel welcome by other pets in the house. 

When our youngest cat came walking up in our backyard because a group of little kids were dropping a litter of kittens at random houses, the kitten was all skin and bones and about 3 weeks old. We did not abandon him, we took him in even though we already had 2 older cats (one was 3 yrs old and one was 2 yrs old). It took 3 weeks for the older cats to finally accept the kitten. What we did is we were always there when he was around the other cats to make sure they wouldn't hurt him and if they tried anything stupid, we would remove the kitten at once and scolded the older cats. After 3 weeks, the kitten was able to go anywhere in the house without issues from the other cats. At first, we always put the kitten in our room with a little box of litter, food and water and closed the door until we came back home (just because we didn't want the older cats do anything stupid in our absence). At night, the kitten slept in our daughter's room. We had put a cat tent in her room with litter, food and water for the night. And like I mentioned above, after 3 weeks, the older cats were fine with the kitten roaming in the house freely without them hurt him. 

The key word here is TIME. 

DisabledVet
by on Jan. 14, 2017 at 2:53 PM

The cats will adjust.  Why does everyone ignore you?  Maybe it's not just your MIL that wants the dog.  Do the cats have high places to climb?  There are ways of making your cats less upset.  Search the net for various sites with advice.  If you're worried about the feral cats, teach the dog/puppy not to chase them.  Our dogs never chased our feral cats.  Are the feral cats fixed?  If not, get them fixed to the colony doesn't get larger. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)