• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter who is 5 came home from school today and said her teacher told her that if she was her child she would spank her.

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:13 PM
  • 28 Replies
My daughter who is 5 came home from school today and said her teacher told her that if she was her child she would spank her.
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CheerioHolder
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:17 PM
I'd tell my daughter if she ever says something like that again to tell the teacher "if I was your kid, I'd wizz in your shoes every morning you ugly chicken"

Just kidding. I'd probably just tell her it's a good thing the teacher isn't her mommy then and that'd be the end of it.
alli1204
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:19 PM
I would definitely follow up with the teacher. If she said that, that's UNACCEPTABLE. However, sometimes 5 year olds can't be the most reliable source.
my4kids274
by Drill Sergeant Mommy on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:19 PM
Where do these teachers come from? Thankfully that has never been my experience with any teacher.
Wftxdawn41
by New Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:26 PM
Ok. I just didnt know if i should speak woth the teacher and principal. My daughter has gone thru a lot this year bc of my cancer diagnosis so she is very sensitive. I had a rough morning so she was a bit sad this morning and teary eyed and that was why her teacher said this.
NearSeattleMom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I wonder if there was a misunderstanding somehow.  I'd stop by and talk to the teacher (without your daughter being present) and ask.  I like to give teachers the benefit of the doubt because you just never know.

Good luck!

Quoting Wftxdawn41: Ok. I just didnt know if i should speak woth the teacher and principal. My daughter has gone thru a lot this year bc of my cancer diagnosis so she is very sensitive. I had a rough morning so she was a bit sad this morning and teary eyed and that was why her teacher said this.

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:32 PM
I'd just ask the teacher. Kids misunderstand things sometimes. See what she says.
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:35 PM
Why don't you talk to the teacher?

Quoting Wftxdawn41: My daughter who is 5 came home from school today and said her teacher told her that if she was her child she would spank her.
Mom2theboy1994
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Ask the teacher about it. It doesn't have to be accusatory, it can simply be "Hey! I'm wondering if there was a miscommunication between you and my daughter" and explain what happened. If she admits it, explain to her that her actions are not appropriate and unappreciated. 

Easy peasy! :)

PrincessAsmommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, make an appointment to have a chat with the teacher. While a 5yr old isn't a very reliable source (especially if she was upset this morning or has been emo lately) when they say the teacher said something like that it's always best to go to the source. Try to keep as much emotion out of it but you need to be sure that you are on the same page as the teacher. Explain to her what's been going on and that it's got your dd upset (understandably) and find out exactly what she said and the circumstances when it was said. If she said it out of frustration you need to make sure she understands that she can't talk to your child like that and if it happens again you'll take it to the principle. Maybe if your dd continues to act out she might benefit from chatting with the school councellor or somebody from your church about her feelings regarding your diagnosis and anything else that might be going on. Often just getting it all out in a safe place with someone that's impartial to the situation can help kids get some perspective and slowly return to normal.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Your daughter said the teacher told her this because she was sad this morning? I wouldn't say anything to the teacher or the child but I would pay more attention to the child.

Quoting Wftxdawn41: Ok. I just didnt know if i should speak woth the teacher and principal. My daughter has gone thru a lot this year bc of my cancer diagnosis so she is very sensitive. I had a rough morning so she was a bit sad this morning and teary eyed and that was why her teacher said this.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)