Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should schools extend the calendar year?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 8:56 AM
  • 31 Replies

What do you think are the benefits of adding hours to the school calendar?

What are the downfalls?

by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linda_Runs
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 8:59 AM

It has been talked about here in Ontario.  It is actually the teachers that don't want it from what I gather.

The idea is to have three longer breaks throughout the year and a shorter summer.  The upside to it is less review in September and less of a reintegration phase back to school.

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I could see that. 

Having like 4 weeks off in the Winter, (over Chrismas & Thanksgiving break)

A month off for sure in the summer.

So maybe another month in the spring. 

Eliminating the 3 months or so off all at once.

Quoting Linda_Runs:

It has been talked about here in Ontario.  It is actually the teachers that don't want it from what I gather.

The idea is to have three longer breaks throughout the year and a shorter summer.  The upside to it is less review in September and less of a reintegration phase back to school.

Linda_Runs
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 9:08 AM

Schools here generally start on the first Monday after Labour Day in September.  Then there is two weeks off at Christmas, a four day weekend at Easter and a week off in March.  Schools end on the last Friday of June.  So all of July and August is the summer break.

Quoting LancesMom:

I could see that. 

Having like 4 weeks off in the Winter, (over Chrismas & Thanksgiving break)

A month off for sure in the summer.

So maybe another month in the spring. 

Eliminating the 3 months or so off all at once.

Quoting Linda_Runs:

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Friday at 11:36 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Sapphire Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 9:11 AM

Not sure . .atm am not involved w/ schools so . .idk honestly :)

DramaLlamaMama
by Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 9:19 AM
I homeschool my children. There are a handful of schools in my area that are open year round. It seems to work very well for the few that do. They are highly sought after. As a result their waiting lists are ridiculous.
Mermaidana
by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Work on the curriculum instead.

Offer two and three languages.   Find better ways to teach writing and math.   More science.  Make sports co-ed.   Put a feminist perspective on curriculum.

Masterchefmom
by Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 10:42 AM
The school year here is from January to December so you can't really extend it. I like the way it is set up.
Sailor.Moon.Mom
by Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 10:42 AM

I did not know this!

Probably because mine is just in Kindergarten, and we do not watch or listen to any kind of News.

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Pjsncoffeetime
by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:38 AM

my kids go till june 2 they start back aug 10 i think they need a longer summer but if they don't get all the 180 days in for school they need to, they won't start summer break on june 2 

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:43 AM
I don't know.
Every time something is up for change with our school calendar parents are never happy.
This year in August school will start on a Thursday instead of the week before Labor Day or the day off Labor Day.
It was announced back in December.
Parents were mad about their vacations and already deciding their children would miss the first two days of school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)