Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Asst. Principal and Principal Adult Conflict Skills

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 7:43 PM
  • 6 Replies

I am a teacher. I began teaching when I was in my late twenties but then stayed home to be with my children and decided to homeschool them. I am not back in the workforce and teaching in public schools. 

I have to say that I am surprised that Assistant Principals and Principals lack the skills needed to handle adult conflicts. I have worked for other employers than schools and my bosses were always very good at dealing with conflicts among employees. They were managers of people who know how to listen well to both sides before making swift decisions on whose "side" to take. They were mostly neutral and tried to make the working environment a positive environment. 

I back away and realize that Assitant Principals and Principals are dealing with student issues all day. They have to deal with difficilt parents. They also have to make decisions constantly and usually very swiftly. This takes a very different skill set then dealing with teacher to teacher conflict. 

I personally do not like conflict of any type. I like to get along with everyone. But I find that many teachers, especially who have been around a while (possibly tenured or even not), like to throw their weight around and deal with others as if it will be their way or the highway. What shocks me is that when they run to the principal or assistant principal they are backed up and a new teacher like myself is reprimanded even though we are not in the wrong or doing anything unreasonable. 

This has happened to me in several situations and schools. I am a happy, positive and outgoing person. I work very hard doing my job and teaching my children. I treat everyone with high levels of respect-- custodian workers, cafeteria workers, assistants, teachers and administration. 

HOWEVER, I have found it a common issue that some employees know they have a "protected" status and that they can treat other unkind, rude or ignore people and get away with this type of behavior. They even know they can be angry and ugly. They know that a principal or assistant principal will have their back no matter what the issue is, and the one or two people (the administration/bosses) that I expect in the school to be unbias and "for" all of the employees comes down hard on teachers who are not "protected" even if they have not been in the wrong. They assume they are wrong from the start. 

I am shocked by this. I expect bosses to be neutral. I expect bosses to want to be good problem solvers and to be agents to help their employees have a postive, problem-solving, mature-adult, respectful environment.

I am not sure if it is a problem of the administration not being skilled in this area or if it is due to the "good-ole-boy" system that is so entrenched in public school systems.  

by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 10:28 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Sapphire Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 7:59 PM

I have seen this as well,
I never understood it nor do I now :(

healingsoul
by Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 8:06 PM

Can you explain a little how you have seen this? I am trying to understand it. 

Quoting hugss:

I have seen this as well,I never understood it nor do I now :(

hugss

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Sapphire Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 8:19 PM

There is no understanding this .. mho
I have seen principals stick up for the *tenured* teachers .. as opposed to being more *helpful* w/ suggestions ..

Quoting healingsoul:

Quoting hugss:

healingsoul
by Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 8:37 PM

Thank you for explaining. I was not sure what you have seen. 

Quoting hugss:

There is no understanding this .. mhoI have seen principals stick up for the *tenured* teachers .. as opposed to being more *helpful* w/ suggestions ..

Quoting healingsoul:

Quoting hugss:

hugss

by Sapphire Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 8:41 PM

Similar at all to what you have seen?
Principals playing favorites basically :(

Quoting healingsoul:

Thank you for explaining. I was not sure what you have seen. 

Quoting hugss:

There is no understanding this .. mhoI have seen principals stick up for the *tenured* teachers .. as opposed to being more *helpful* w/ suggestions ..

Quoting healingsoul:

Quoting hugss:

healingsoul
by Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 10:30 PM

I am going to more this to another group to see if I can get more comments and input. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)