Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you know your heritage?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:13 PM
  • 30 Replies

Do you know what your familial background is/where your family is from?

by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:15 PM

I'm Irish/Italian on my dad's side his mom's family immigrated from Italy and his dad's family immigrated from Ireland. On my mom's side we have a huge family history that my cousin put together, but mostly I'm Irish on that side.

My stepdad though.... he thought he was German due to his German sounding last name. So, he submitted his DNA test to Ancestry and found out that he's not German at all.... he is Eastern European though, but it's more the slavic regions and Northern Europe. He's also slightly Asian, which was a 100% complete surprise!

PaddyWhack
by on Apr. 11, 2017 at 10:48 AM

I only know my paternal great grandfather came from England and on my mom's side there's Cherokee but I have no idea how many generations back but it must be a bit, I'm as pale as pale can get so the Cherokee missed me.

Cenedra64
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

yes

Little.monkey8
by on Apr. 11, 2017 at 12:25 PM
Yes my paternal grandparents came from a country called Prussia (it's no longer in existence). My maternal grandparents came from Germany.
Why123
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

My paternal side is Polish.  My maternal side is mostly Slovenian and Russian.

soymujer
by Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 12:51 PM

My mom is Korean and on my dad's side I know I have German for sure and I think maybe some Irish but I'm not sure.

squeekers
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. German.
Father's mother & father born in Germany. She emigrated as a few months old baby when family came through Ellis Island 1907.
Mother's mother & father born in a different area of Germany.
Bmat
by Emerald Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 3:35 PM

My sister has spent months researching our ancestry. It is very interesting. And in researching was contacted by a second cousin that we didn't even know about- the grandson of our grandfather's brother. Very cool. :)

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 6:36 PM

Have you thought about taking a test to find out for sure?

Quoting soymujer:

My mom is Korean and on my dad's side I know I have German for sure and I think maybe some Irish but I'm not sure.

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 6:36 PM

I've heard of Prussia, I guess I didn't realize it isn't a country any more but maybe I did know that in the back of my mind. lol

Quoting Little.monkey8: Yes my paternal grandparents came from a country called Prussia (it's no longer in existence). My maternal grandparents came from Germany.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)