Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scrap Metal Collectors

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 11:07 PM
  • 7 Replies

I'm just going to dive right in and make a random post

We cleaned out our garage and put an old stove (ca 1940/1950), a broken orange extension cord, and a dishwasher out on the curb hoping the junk collectors would take it.  Sure enough, they took the stuff.  What do they do with it?  My mister said copper is a big deal and that's probably what they are looking for.

Do you scour neighborhoods looking for old stuff?  Does anyone you know do this?  Is it a full time job?  Not something I can do with three kids in my Odyssey LOL

Cheers!

by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
momofjb03
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this
No I don't do this but like you I put stuff to the curb n within an hour it's gone. They take anything...but put a for sale sign on it n it could sit there for hours. I only sell stuff that works.
Bmat
by Emerald Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't have people who come around like this.  Wish we did. When we vacationed near Williamsburg we noticed that when people moved out they left stuff on the curb and whoever wanted it could take it.

ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Apr. 11, 2017 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

my bf does but doesnt go around to pick it up as we dont have a truck he gets it from others  and he take it to the scrap yard and gets money for it 

babyboxfish
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

We have a donation company that comes by monthly to get specific stuff. They mail out a list of things they'll pick up, so we know what exactly we can put out. I miss going to garage sales, though. They're fun, depending on the area.

PizardLeople
by Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 5:40 PM

The dishwasher sat for longer than expected.  A guy came by with a truck full of stuff and took this POS wood metal thing that I didn't even think was scrap and left theh dishwasher.  Another guy came for the dishwasher.  I have no idea who these people are and I didn't even advertise.  It's like they know when garbage day is and they go looking.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Apr. 11, 2017 at 6:23 PM

Some people do this for a living or for extra cash. And like you said they know where to go to look for the items they need.

Quoting PizardLeople:

The dishwasher sat for longer than expected.  A guy came by with a truck full of stuff and took this POS wood metal thing that I didn't even think was scrap and left theh dishwasher.  Another guy came for the dishwasher.  I have no idea who these people are and I didn't even advertise.  It's like they know when garbage day is and they go looking.

auntangelofsix
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 6:43 PM
We scrap and we do it on the weekend and sometimes at night we go looking for it and my hubby has friends that he gets it from too.we take it to scrap yard and get some money for it and we do the same with A.c. n Alium cans too..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)