Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Little ones in public pools?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:10 PM
  • 11 Replies

I just wonder how you feel about babies being in public pools?

I automatically think of ds swallowing water which seems to happen every time he is in the tub at home or in our baby pool. Then I think at a public pool kids could get sick (diarrhea and such) easily. Does anyone think much about this? Do you think more about it if your dc are non-vaxed?

by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PrincessAsmommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:40 PM

Our kids have been in and out of publics pools their whole lives.

We started them in swimming lessons when they were 4mos old and even before that would play in the shallows with them so they would love and not fear the water or the pool environment. In the baby class you stay where the water doesn't even cover their little legs (sitting down) and as you move deeper they learn to close their mouth when the water hits their face.

The only things anyone catches faster at a public pool than anywhere else would be a foot fungus. I've never seen anyone catch stomach bugs from being in one .. they gets the poops if they swallow too much but so do adults LOL Honestly they are less likely to catch viruses/tummy bugs at a public pool than they are at a daycare or school.

motherslove82
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:43 PM

1) Vax your kids (unless they have some illness or allergy that prevents is)

2) My kids have been swimming in public pools, oceans, lakes and rivers since they were babies and have never had an issue. They build up immunity through exposure. They will never have a proper immune system if they live in a bubble.

Little.monkey8
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:04 PM
I don't think much of it. Not everyone is paranoid.
osubaby1990
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:25 PM

we took my 9 month old niece to a water park this weekend. I think that as long as the kid is feeling up to it that they should get to go.

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:13 PM

I like for children to get used to the water as early as they can.

hugss
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:04 PM

I agree w/ this,
My oldest had lessons starting about 6 months old I think :)

Quoting motherslove82:

1) Vax your kids (unless they have some illness or allergy that prevents is)

2) My kids have been swimming in public pools, oceans, lakes and rivers since they were babies and have never had an issue. They build up immunity through exposure. They will never have a proper immune system if they live in a bubble.

fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:44 PM

I don't think anything about it.  I have no issues with any child in water.  Public pools are chlorinated and that kills all the bacteria.  They are tested several times a day.

KenneMaw
by Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:48 PM

I do think of babies picking up something easily from a public pool but also to see a baby in a filled diaper in a pool is just nasty.  You realize, itis typically sick babies in the pool who make others sick..  I never understand why a parent would ever consider bringing a small child or baby to the pool when they have diarrhea.   It happened at our big water park about 15 years ago - a sick child had e coli and shared it many others resulting in 1 death about 15 years ago.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:04 PM
Babies are ok. The chlorine in the water kills germs.
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:06 PM
Oh so sad. That is a so awful. A fun day in the turns into ecoli and a death.

Quoting KenneMaw:

I do think of babies picking up something easily from a public pool but also to see a baby in a filled diaper in a pool is just nasty.  You realize, itis typically sick babies in the pool who make others sick..  I never understand why a parent would ever consider bringing a small child or baby to the pool when they have diarrhea.   It happened at our big water park about 15 years ago - a sick child had e coli and shared it many others resulting in 1 death about 15 years ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)