Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have any suggestions for foolproof company meals?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 9:38 PM
  • 16 Replies

We had dinner for the first time at a friend's house this evening. He served broiled seasoned salmon, sweet potatoes topped with cinnamon and butter, salad. It was the kind of meal that I would order in a restaurant (which shows how uninspired a cook I am, I guess.) What a treat!

I would like to have him over, but my cooking is not nearly as delightful as his. I tend to stay mainly with lasagna or some other kind of pasta. Now I am trying to think of something easy, foolproof, and tasty, that I wouldn't stress over, but that would be suitable for company.

Any suggestions?

by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
flowerfunleah
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a casserole fan! If it fits into a casserole and feeds many it's a mainstay in the cookbook of my life. I had friends over for dinner recently and I made cream cheese green chile chicken enchiladas and there were a huge hit! I used canned green chile enchilada sauce in the chicken mixture and then this tomatillo enchilada sauce in a packet (I think the brand is Fiesta?) for the topping. The mom of my friend is moving and wants to trade me a couple of those enchilada dishes for her pyrex lol totally gonna take her up on that deal, I love pyrex.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

We make carnitas, roast and veggies sometimes, enchilladas

mom2jessnky
by Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Make Lasagna, everybody likes lasagna.

His meal wasn't that fancy, it was all pretty simple stuff to make. Also...ewwwww sweet potatoes. Potatoes are not meant to be sweet.

You're not in competition with this person to make the fanciest meal, just make a recipe you know well. When I have people over for dinner they get food I know how to cook well. Sometimes that means it's pot roast, or it might be enchiladas, or it might be tacos, or hell one time I had friends over and we all ate leftovers, they were there to see me, not treat me like a contestant on Top Chef.

wandep
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd do the lasagna and add garlic bread and make a nice salad. 

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Ha! I feel the same way about sweet potatoes. So gross!

Quoting mom2jessnky:

His meal wasn't that fancy, it was all pretty simple stuff to make. Also...ewwwww sweet potatoes. Potatoes are not meant to be sweet.

You're not in competition with this person to make the fanciest meal, just make a recipe you know well. When I have people over for dinner they get food I know how to cook well. Sometimes that means it's pot roast, or it might be enchiladas, or it might be tacos, or hell one time I had friends over and we all ate leftovers, they were there to see me, not treat me like a contestant on Top Chef.

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Lasagna is great....

Stuffed shells, stuffed peppers, burgers, brats or steak on the grill.

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 11:16 AM

Thank you for the great suggestion! I think this is something I'd like to make and not just for company. :)

Quoting flowerfunleah:

I'm a casserole fan! If it fits into a casserole and feeds many it's a mainstay in the cookbook of my life. I had friends over for dinner recently and I made cream cheese green chile chicken enchiladas and there were a huge hit! I used canned green chile enchilada sauce in the chicken mixture and then this tomatillo enchilada sauce in a packet (I think the brand is Fiesta?) for the topping. The mom of my friend is moving and wants to trade me a couple of those enchilada dishes for her pyrex lol totally gonna take her up on that deal, I love pyrex.

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 11:17 AM

Thank you. I believe he'd like these.

Quoting othermom:

We make carnitas, roast and veggies sometimes, enchilladas

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 11:19 AM

*nodding* I see what you mean. It isn't a contest. It makes sense to make something that I know how to do.

I've only recently become a fan of sweet potatoes. He nuked them whole, cut them in quarters, and drizzled a butter and cinnamon sauce over them. Tasty! :)

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

This makes a lot of sense. Thank you. I can prepare it all ahead.

Quoting wandep:

I'd do the lasagna and add garlic bread and make a nice salad. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)