Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Staying with sister for a week, hostess gift?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2017 at 7:57 PM
  • 29 Replies

My husband and I will be staying with my sister and her husband for a week. Naturally we'll treat them to a meal out, but what about a hostess gift? Should I get her, for example, a gift certificate?

by on Aug. 15, 2017 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Easedropping
by Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 8:03 PM
2 moms liked this
Why? I'm confused. I stay with family and sometimes will treat for dinner or make dinner but other than that, it's family. No gift required.
PrincessAsmommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd be surprised honestly if I ever got a hostess gift from a guest (family or otherwise). If you keep your space tidy, help when asked and are pleasant to have around then that's all I ask. It's nice to get something but I'd rather get a gift because they love me and thought I'd like it and not because they think they need to for being our welcomed guest smile mini

When we stay with our sisters and their families I like to help with the kids and we'll do a meal or two. If for our meal we come across a bottle of their favorite wine or drinks we'll make a special treat/gift of it. But it's family ... no gift needed or expected.

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 8:44 PM

It's what I was wondering. I've never stayed with family since childhood, and I am not sure about hostess gifts.

Quoting Easedropping: Why? I'm confused. I stay with family and sometimes will treat for dinner or make dinner but other than that, it's family. No gift required.

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for the advice. You and Easedropping (above) are both saying not for family anyway. My sister is a superb cook so I could help her maybe. We do plan to do some wine tastings, so maybe I can get them a bottle of their favorite! Good plan!

Quoting PrincessAsmommy:

I'd be surprised honestly if I ever got a hostess gift from a guest (family or otherwise). If you keep your space tidy, help when asked and are pleasant to have around then that's all I ask. It's nice to get something but I'd rather get a gift because they love me and thought I'd like it and not because they think they need to for being our welcomed guest smile mini

When we stay with our sisters and their families I like to help with the kids and we'll do a meal or two. If for our meal we come across a bottle of their favorite wine or drinks we'll make a special treat/gift of it. But it's family ... no gift needed or expected.

NearSeattleMom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 2:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I just stayed with a couple of friends for a few nights each.  I brought one of them a nice puzzle--she loves to do puzzles. 

I brought three cute printed tea towels for the other.  She likes to cook and I wanted to bring something useful as well as cute.

Quoting Bmat:

My husband and I will be staying with my sister and her husband for a week. Naturally we'll treat them to a meal out, but what about a hostess gift? Should I get her, for example, a gift certificate?

NurseMommy22
by on Aug. 16, 2017 at 4:21 AM
1 mom liked this
If we stay with family (which is rare), we usually help with meals and groceries. My husbands family will come to our home and not even offer to get a pack of paper towels. Not that it matters, I just think sometimes it's polite to offer.
Bmat
by Emerald Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 8:27 AM

Thank you! Good ideas!

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

I just stayed with a couple of friends for a few nights each.  I brought one of them a nice puzzle--she loves to do puzzles. 

I brought three cute printed tea towels for the other.  She likes to cook and I wanted to bring something useful as well as cute.

Quoting Bmat:

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 8:27 AM

Thank you! I'll keep this in mind. :)

Quoting NurseMommy22: If we stay with family (which is rare), we usually help with meals and groceries. My husbands family will come to our home and not even offer to get a pack of paper towels. Not that it matters, I just think sometimes it's polite to offer.

wandep
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Ditto. I'd just take them out for dinner some place nice. :)

Quoting Easedropping: Why? I'm confused. I stay with family and sometimes will treat for dinner or make dinner but other than that, it's family. No gift required.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:32 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Sapphire Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

It's not necessary .. mho .. but it is up to you :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)