Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Speaking of root vegetables:

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 3:17 PM
  • 19 Replies

In another post we were discussing the difference between parsnips, turnips, and rutabega. I put a vegetable in the stew I am making and wondered what it is. Turns out it is a turnip. The following is from Samcooks.com

VARIETIES OF ROOT VEGETABLES

turnips are root vegetablesBoth rutabagas and turnips are members of the mustard family. All turnips have a snowy white flesh. The differences in varieties mostly involve outside coloring and size. Some have reddish rings around the crown of the vegetable, others purple. Flavors are essentially the same although larger turnips (3 or more inches in diameter) which appear later in the winter tend to be more pungent than the smaller (11/2 to 2 inches) turnips that appear earlier in the season. Major turnip varieties include Purple top, White Globe, White Egg, Golden Ball, Amber and Yellow Amberdeen.

rutabagas are root vegetablesInstead of white flesh, rutabagas have a yellow-orange flesh that, like yellow-flesh potatoes, give an impression of richness or butteriness. They’re also sweeter and denser than turnips with less moisture. On the outside rutabagas are half yellow-orange, while the other half is burgundy or purple. To increase their shelf life, most rutabagas are waxed. Commercially available rutabagas tend to be larger than turnips. The three main rutabaga varieties are American Purple Top, Laurentian and the Thomson Strain of the Laurentian.

parsnips are root vegetablesIt’s no coincidence that the parsnip resembles a carrot that has seen a ghost. The pale yellow parsnip and the carrot are in the same family. Parsnips, however, are more irregular in shape though they generally follow the same carrot tapered look with lengths varying from 5 to 10 inches. Some have likened them to sweet potatoes, but I think parsnips have a taste all their own, somewhat starchy like a potato, sweet like a carrot and a little nutty as well.

by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Emerald Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 3:21 PM

This is from planetnatural.com

Then why do I see you out there holding your nose? Is it because they have that cabbagey twang (well, not parsnips) that gets your mouth vibrating like a guitar string when you take a bite? Get over it! My sense is that if you like cabbage, you’ll like turnips and rutabagas. It’s the texture, I believe, combined with that taste, that puts most people off. We’re all use to the bland starchy taste of potatoes. Yes, the meat of turnips and rutabagas had a stronger, distinct flavor when compared to potatoes. But in most cases, it’s milder than cabbage and when it’s not, well, you let them grow to big and harvested them before frosts set in — something that sweetens the starches of both those roots. Parsnips? They’re sweet to begin with.

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Sep. 30, 2017 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I love rutabaga and turnips. Parsnips are awful in my opinion. It's like the bitterness aftertaste you get with carrots, but super strong. It actually made me not eat carrots (that I love) for a few years after trying parsnips.
Bmat
by Emerald Member on Sep. 30, 2017 at 10:45 AM

Ohhh. I am glad you said. I don't think I've had parsnips. According to what I read they are naturally sweet, but I am not a big carrot fan anyway.

I put a turnip in my stew yesterday and think it ruined the taste of the stew. Not going to do that again. I'll wait to try turnips again until I do a dish that uses cabbage and carrots.

How do you prepare rutabage and turnips?

Quoting kcangel63: I love rutabaga and turnips. Parsnips are awful in my opinion. It's like the bitterness aftertaste you get with carrots, but super strong. It actually made me not eat carrots (that I love) for a few years after trying parsnips.

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Sep. 30, 2017 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Turnips I always pan fry. I slice thin, toss in a hot oiled cast iron (usually a bunch of bacon fat in it), some sliced onion, and cook until it's soft and starting to get crunchy like pan fried potatoes.

Rutabaga I toss in my baked veggie mixture. I just cube it with other veggies (potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, Brussels sprouts, etc...). Make a oil/balsamic vinegar/garlic clove/salt sauce in my blender. Mix the veggies up in it and bake 450° for 45 min. Stir and bake 30-45 more minutes.

Quoting Bmat:

Ohhh. I am glad you said. I don't think I've had parsnips. According to what I read they are naturally sweet, but I am not a big carrot fan anyway.

I put a turnip in my stew yesterday and think it ruined the taste of the stew. Not going to do that again. I'll wait to try turnips again until I do a dish that uses cabbage and carrots.

Quoting kcangel63: I love rutabaga and turnips. Parsnips are awful in my opinion. It's like the bitterness aftertaste you get with carrots, but super strong. It actually made me not eat carrots (that I love) for a few years after trying parsnips.

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Sep. 30, 2017 at 4:41 PM

Well now I'm drooling! LOL! Thank you for the recipes. They both sound yummy!

Quoting kcangel63: Turnips I always pan fry. I slice thin, toss in a hot oiled cast iron (usually a bunch of bacon fat in it), some sliced onion, and cook until it's soft and starting to get crunchy like pan fried potatoes. Rutabaga I toss in my baked veggie mixture. I just cube it with other veggies (potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, Brussels sprouts, etc...). Make a oil/balsamic vinegar/garlic clove/salt sauce in my blender. Mix the veggies up in it and bake 450° for 45 min. Stir and bake 30-45 more minutes.
Quoting Bmat:

Sarah.rose.
by Member on Sep. 30, 2017 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Turnips are great natural antibiotics.they are great for stopping coughs and....
wandep
by on Oct. 1, 2017 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group ;)
Yesterday at 11:31 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Sapphire Member on Oct. 1, 2017 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for sharing :)

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Oct. 1, 2017 at 10:31 AM

I didn't know this. Eaten raw? Cooked?

Quoting Sarah.rose.: Turnips are great natural antibiotics.they are great for stopping coughs and....

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Oct. 1, 2017 at 10:32 AM

You are welcome. :)

Quoting wandep: Thanks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)