Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids believing in santa and the elf

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 2:34 PM
  • 30 Replies
So I have 2 boys 1 9 and 1 6. They both still believe in Santa. Last year I thought my 9 year old(8 then) was starting to not believe anymore. He was just whatever about the elf and Santa watching and whatever but this year he is acting like he believes more then my 6year old!!

I was talking to my husband about maybe telling him it's not really a thing which my husband said we should have never lied to them to begin with but at the same time I want him to enjoy the fun of believing in things like the tooth fairy Santa the Easter bunny etc.

What age did your kids stop believing and how did they stop?

Thanks I don't want him to find out at school and be bullied for it but I also don't want him to grow up:(
by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rhiannonaisling
by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this
My soon to be 15 yo still believes and I'll never tellhim different.
Besides Santa, or Saint Nicholas, was a real person whose ideals are still espoused today in the "spirit of Christmas" and in "Christmas magic." Just because he is no longer alive doesn't mean he doesn't exist.
Bmat
by Emerald Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 2:42 PM

I found out in first grade. I remember being very shocked. We never went into Santa or elf. When they were about 5 we started explaining that Santa was just Christmas spirit.

mjande4
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

My motto is "if you believe then you will receive".  I have a freshman in college and two high schoolers and so far no one has said that they do not believe wink mini

Jp1021
by Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 3:12 PM
Lol my mom used to say that lol

I stopped believing when I was may be in 1st or kindergarten. I woke up in the middle of the night and saw my dad wrapping a Barbie that was "from Santa" and the next day i freaked out lol

Quoting mjande4:

My motto is "if you believe then you will receive".  I have a freshman in college and two high schoolers and so far no one has said that they do not believe wink mini

momof337
by Stephanie on Nov. 21, 2017 at 4:24 PM
Ours were 10/11
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 4:36 PM
I let the kids decide on their own when they were ready.
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 7:46 PM

My kids were all around 4th grade or so when they stopped believing. With my middle and my youngest we explained that while we are Santa, it's really more that we are in the spirit of Santa and that they could help out by being elves for their little cousins and friends that still believed. They loved being able to help out. My youngest is 16 now and loves being able to help stuff the stockings with things he buys.

DaringNikki
by Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:06 PM
I still like to believe Santa is real
SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine are 15 , 13 and 11 and still "believe". I know they are only playing along but I will never ever tell them differently and they STILL have not figured out how Santa drops off PJ's on Christmas eve while we are at a movie (they have insisted on being last out of the house for years so we cannot sneak anything by them LOL).....my mom always comes by and drops them off while we are gone!

Google_Me_Now
by Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 10:58 PM
I think kids should believe for however long they want too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)