Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to start talking about sex to your child

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2017 at 11:51 AM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello! This is a first time for me to ask for advice here. Well, the topic is about how to talk sex topics to your child. I have 2 daughters and my eldest is starting to show interest in the opposite sex. I think it's the right time to educate her on this matter. Although, it's very apparent that this age gets more information than any other areas - like the internet. But as a parent, I want to inculcate values, especially on this topic. But I feel awkward and don't know how to start. 

by on Dec. 4, 2017 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
smartmommy1050
by Member on Dec. 4, 2017 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this
How old is she? Be straightforward. Ask if she’s heard of sex and, if so, ask what she knows. Then explain the truth.
jigglekit
by New Member on Dec. 4, 2017 at 6:47 PM

Just talk to them, it's much better to get the information from their parents than from their friends. explain everything they need to know 

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2017 at 9:21 PM
Be as honest as you can for her age!
rhubarbcache
by New Member on Dec. 5, 2017 at 7:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Hello again!

I tried talking to her and I am somehow relieved that she is very open to the conversation. Plus she mentioned that their school nurse and guidance counselor are also helping them understand this subject. 

chicagogem
by New Member on Dec. 5, 2017 at 8:10 AM

Glad it went well!! 

jigglekit
by New Member on Dec. 5, 2017 at 6:55 PM

that's great! 

rhubarbcache
by New Member on Dec. 11, 2017 at 10:52 PM

Thank you :)

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Dec. 14, 2017 at 9:34 AM

I am glad she is on her way to understanding. I agree with you about wanting to teach her to value herself as a person also.

Nerdymommy2006
by New Member on Dec. 14, 2017 at 1:40 PM

i really don't know how to answer this.  the topic of sex came up in our house when i my dd at 9 flat out asked me what it was and how it worked.  we've always been a very open and honest house so i simply answered it.  she had already had a basic understanding.  she knew that the daddy's put the babies in the mommies through sex but she wanted details of how. i explained that it isn't something she should do with someone unless she is an adult and she is sure she wants to potentially spend the rest of her life with that person because oopsies happen even when someone is being very careful.  she hasn't really had too many questions after that but she has had questions about her period lately.  (she's 11  now)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)