Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Compliments/ criticism on child(ren)'s names

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 1:30 AM
  • 24 Replies
Today my bf went to see his therapist and his therapist complimented on our boys's names:

#1: Dante Alexander
#2: Zachary Theodore

She said they were sophisticated and regal names which is a shocker because we've gotten heat from family when we named our first son Dante because "it's a black name", the name is actually European and Zachary because "it's not a traditional family name".

Have you had any positive or negative criticism from family, friends or strangers on the names that you gave your child(ren)? What were they? And why?
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 1:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eheart18
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:00 AM
1 mom liked this

We did not name our children, they came to us named, and yes, we've received negative comments about them, as well as comments like "why didn't you change them".

Pink.Sunshine
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 6:08 AM
All reactions have been positive except one person on CM 🤷🏽‍♀️ My sons have Hebrew names that are easy to spell. I guess they’re not unique enough
Mater-three
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 6:16 AM
I've gotten some flack about my middle dd's name. Jordyn. Apparently to my sil and to some anonymous people on cafemom, it's a boy's name. It doesn't bother me much because common sense tells most of us that Jordan(and any variation of the spelling) is a gender neutral name.

I've been told here as well that my oldest daughter's name, Tiffany, ensures that she will be a stripper as her career. Tiffany is 21 and is a junior at our local private college (on the deans list all three years) with dreams of pursuing a career in occupational therapy or physical therapy.

No one has commented on ds' name except to say it's extremely common which I can't deny. His name is Matthew.
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 6:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes one of my son's name is Cole. He is over 30 so he was Cole before it became popular. I got a lot of what the hell kind of name is that ? With all the beautiful names why did you choose Cole ?  Why would you choose an Irish name , it doesn't go with your ethnic last name ? Lots of stupid shit.

I Love Dante . My son has a friend named dante. When Dante was a baby his mom  called him Baby dante (her hsuband is Dante)  my son started calling him "Dante my baby " and it stuck. Now at almost 30 we still call him Dante my baby ;)

CheerioHolder
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 6:59 AM
With my first two, my husband's side of the family hated the names and would talk about it all through my pregnancies. MIL would even lie when people asked what we were naming them, I guess she thought they were that bad. With my third, we were stumped and he didn't get a name until three days after he was born. So I think everyone was just relieved we finally named him and didn't care what lol.

I have gotten compliments on each of their names from strangers.
Rlmori2010
by Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:11 AM
My dad gave me crap for a bit on our oldest DDs name. But I usually get complimented on her name. My Father in law loves our boys name because they are named after strong warriors
Shabby-Chic
by Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:14 AM
I actually love those names.

Our daughters middle name is Rain. Surprisingly no one has made negative comments to us, though it wasn't a top pick in our families when we were trying to decide between rain and grace.
PrincessAsmommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:38 PM

The only flack/grief we've gotten is the fact that they both have Danish names that apparently are hard to say. I will admit ds's middle name is a bit of a doozy the first time but dd's isn't that hard.

rainiebelle
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 10:29 PM
The only negativity I have gotten from my kids names is that they are too old fashioned. I wanted names that we're strong. They are Joseph, Timothy, Zachary, and Sheila.
jad1027
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 11:13 AM

I don't have kids but my sister teaches and has had some kids with very odd names.

The only one that come to mind is

La-a....Pronounced Ladasha

Hey to each there own....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)