Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Compliments/ criticism on child(ren)'s names

Posted by   + Show Post
Today my bf went to see his therapist and his therapist complimented on our boys's names:

#1: Dante Alexander
#2: Zachary Theodore

She said they were sophisticated and regal names which is a shocker because we've gotten heat from family when we named our first son Dante because "it's a black name", the name is actually European and Zachary because "it's not a traditional family name".

Have you had any positive or negative criticism from family, friends or strangers on the names that you gave your child(ren)? What were they? And why?
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 1:30 AM
Replies (21-24):
jad1027
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 4:48 PM

No worries

Quoting tish_hughes82:

I don't share my child's name on social media but I'll just say it's an obvious ethnic name. It isn't a common name, though.

Quoting jad1027:

What is your daughters name?

Quoting tish_hughes82:

I've seen memes about the prefix of my child's name and I used to care but more recently, I don't care. There was even a time when I was considering changing the spelling of my child's name so that she wouldn't be discriminated against once she is old enough to start applying for jobs but I changed my mind. To change her name is basically changing her identity and I see that as trying to submit or assimilate and I refuse. If people look at her name and immediately say "she's Black", good because she is. I'm not going to bend and change so that bigots are less offended by my child's blackness. She's Black and has a Black name. If someone else takes issue with that, that is their problems-not hers.

jad1027
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 4:49 PM

Hey Name your kid whatever you want, regardless people will have something to say!

Gianna2014
by Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 6:09 PM

My husband's family has said that DD's name is too frilly. I've heard from random people that it's pretty but not their style.

andrea.jordan
by Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 8:31 PM
I actually don't like my first name and want to change it but it would cost me alot of money to change it.

Quoting Charizma77: I have had people say they like their names but never had anyone tell me they don’t like their names (don’t most people keep that to themselves ? lol).. my kids names are common and so is the spelling of the names..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)