Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oscar gowns

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2018 at 9:43 AM
  • 13 Replies

I didn't watch the Oscars. Mainly I just like looking at the gowns. I thumbed through this website and wondered What were they thinking!!? for some of them.

https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/oscars-red-carpet-celebrity-fashion#39

I noticed a number of long trains- not sure about these. And what about the enlarged shoulders on some of them.- These were in style in the 40's, now they are back?

by on Mar. 8, 2018 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
horcruxnumber8
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2018 at 9:45 AM
2 moms liked this
They're not thinking anything. Their stylists are.
Bmat
by Emerald Member on Mar. 8, 2018 at 9:49 AM

Good point.

I wonder if they have a say in what they wear. Surely they know what looks good on them or doesn't. It could be, though, that the stylist says if you want to wear a gown by me you'll wear what I put you in.

Quoting horcruxnumber8: They're not thinking anything. Their stylists are.

horcruxnumber8
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2018 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
They do. They're given options and choose the one they like.

Whoever wears your gowns can make or break you. If you get the hottest actor to wear your gown or tux you are golden. The designer that duchess Catherine wears is making bank right now because EVERYONE wants to wear her designs.

Quoting Bmat:

Good point.

I wonder if they have a say in what they wear. Surely they know what looks good on them or doesn't. It could be, though, that the stylist says if you want to wear a gown by me you'll wear what I put you in.

AnnieArk
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2018 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
There were gowns that made me cringe looking at them. Some didn't fit correctly. Others were hideous. Those stylists need to find another profession.

I did think most the gowns were beautiful. Nicole Kidman's was one of my favorites.
Bmat
by Emerald Member on Mar. 8, 2018 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

There were some that were becoming. :)

I wonder about the trains on several of them. I don't see trains as being very practical in other than a formal ceremony where the woman walks down an aisle.

Quoting AnnieArk: There were gowns that made me cringe looking at them. Some didn't fit correctly. Others were hideous. Those stylists need to find another profession. I did think most the gowns were beautiful. Nicole Kidman's was one of my favorites.

AnnieArk
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2018 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this
It seems like a waste for beautiful, expensive fabric to be dragged down a sidewalk. I don't see how they keep the train from being crumpled while they're sitting.

Quoting Bmat:

There were some that were becoming. :)

I wonder about the trains on several of them. I don't see trains as being very practical in other than a formal ceremony where the woman walks down an aisle.

Quoting AnnieArk: There were gowns that made me cringe looking at them. Some didn't fit correctly. Others were hideous. Those stylists need to find another profession.

I did think most the gowns were beautiful. Nicole Kidman's was one of my favorites.

MyKids_RMyLife
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 11:05 AM

I have always wondered this because I did see someone on the Oscars who wore the same dress 3 different times I believe,for different awards ceremonies,some of the dresses were OK and some were OK...

Quoting Bmat:

Good point.

hugss
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Some beautiful ones ^& some interesting ones ;)

Quoting Bmat:

I didn't watch the Oscars. Mainly I just like looking at the gowns. I thumbed through this website and wondered What were they thinking!!? for some of them.

https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/oscars-red-carpet-celebrity-fashion#39

I noticed a number of long trains- not sure about these. And what about the enlarged shoulders on some of them.- These were in style in the 40's, now they are back?

81Crystal
by Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this
The picture you posted is a dress no one should wear. No woman, regardless of how good her figure is, looks good in a dress like that.
Bmat
by Emerald Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 7:25 PM

I like the color and fabric, but it shows her chest in a most unflattering way.

Quoting 81Crystal: The picture you posted is a dress no one should wear. No woman, regardless of how good her figure is, looks good in a dress like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)