Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom of a 3 day old /big baby girl.

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2018 at 12:11 PM
  • 6 Replies
Hello,
I just had a baby on March 15th, 2018. She was born 8lb.14oz.
The second night at the hospital she would not stop feeding and had a tongue tie. The nurse suggested to give her a little of formula to add after the hour long feedings. I did that at the hospital and she slept for 3 hours straight and so did I (after 38 hours of difficult labor) now that we are home day 3 the same thing happened at night . She can’t stop feeding so we gave her some formula (she is asleep). I feel awful for giving her formula at the end of the hour / hour and a half of feeding but that is the only thing that seems to get her full. Also she hasn’t pooped in 24 hours... anyone when’s through this before?
PS. I haven’t slept and I am extremely emotional and fearful. My husband and mom are helping as much as they can but I can’t seem to stop wanting to control everything and everyone around me
by on Mar. 18, 2018 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Amy_M
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 12:14 PM

Congrats on the baby!!  (We share a birthday:))  

First of all, try to take the help while you have it.  Don't feel guilty about supplementing with formula, you may not be producing enough milk just yet and baby has to eat.  

I would possibly contact your pedi if she doesn't poop soon though

nanasue31204
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this
She’s establishing your milk supply by constantly nursing, it’s how she triggers your milk to come in. It doesn’t last for long, usually it gets better in a couple weeks. The formula may make it harder to breastfeed because babies can be lazy and not want to nurse after the ease of a bottle. My first 3 I did pretty much what you’re doing and slowly they had more and more formula and eventually wouldn’t nurse. My last 2 I refused to give up and give them bottles, I pushed through the first couple weeks, my milk supply increased and then we were on a normal schedule again. We still had growth spurts where they nursed constantly but it only lasted a day or two until my supply increased again. They also comfort nurse because they want you and it soothes them. When I was super tired I’d lay on my bed with them and rest while they nursed. If you’re afraid you’ll fall asleep too deeply ask your husband to stay awake and watch over you and baby. It’s amazing what just resting will do even if it’s not a deep sleep. I’ve never experienced tongue ties but I hear that can be a problem but can be overcome. The breastfeeding group is great on here.
nanasue31204
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 2:21 PM
Also breast fed babies don’t always poop everyday, your milk is very easily absorbed so not much to excrete. My last two could go days without going and as long as it was soft and easily passed it wasn’t a problem.
silverbuttons
by Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 10:12 PM

Don’t feel guilty.  Do what you need to do.  My daughter in law had a hard time getting breastfeeding established and the lactation consultant said give a little formula so the baby had strength to nurse.  You can’t let the baby get weak.  And you need to take care of yourself too.  Ask the doctor or nurse about the pooping.  My daughter in law had to massage the baby to get pooping started.  But this was done with doctor’s direction.  Take all the help that is given.  Give your home and life over to anyone who is there to help!!  You are a new mom and need rest and time with the baby.  Don’t worry it will all be there for you to control after you get your strength back!   Relax and don’t rush it.  Congrats!!

balagan_imma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 11:32 PM

This! The more baby nurses, the more your body will be stimulated to produce milk. It’s exhausting. Take any help that you can from others. And see if some of this marathon nursing is just her needing to suck, and see if a pacifier will do. I’m not a huge fan, but it was a sanity saver with my oldest  

Quoting nanasue31204: She’s establishing your milk supply by constantly nursing, it’s how she triggers your milk to come in. It doesn’t last for long, usually it gets better in a couple weeks. The formula may make it harder to breastfeed because babies can be lazy and not want to nurse after the ease of a bottle. My first 3 I did pretty much what you’re doing and slowly they had more and more formula and eventually wouldn’t nurse. My last 2 I refused to give up and give them bottles, I pushed through the first couple weeks, my milk supply increased and then we were on a normal schedule again. We still had growth spurts where they nursed constantly but it only lasted a day or two until my supply increased again. They also comfort nurse because they want you and it soothes them. When I was super tired I’d lay on my bed with them and rest while they nursed. If you’re afraid you’ll fall asleep too deeply ask your husband to stay awake and watch over you and baby. It’s amazing what just resting will do even if it’s not a deep sleep. I’ve never experienced tongue ties but I hear that can be a problem but can be overcome. The breastfeeding group is great on here.

azboymommy07
by on Mar. 19, 2018 at 2:23 AM
A fed baby is what matters not breastfeeding

Quoting Irinadousset: Hello,
I just had a baby on March 15th, 2018. She was born 8lb.14oz.
The second night at the hospital she would not stop feeding and had a tongue tie. The nurse suggested to give her a little of formula to add after the hour long feedings. I did that at the hospital and she slept for 3 hours straight and so did I (after 38 hours of difficult labor) now that we are home day 3 the same thing happened at night . She can’t stop feeding so we gave her some formula (she is asleep). I feel awful for giving her formula at the end of the hour / hour and a half of feeding but that is the only thing that seems to get her full. Also she hasn’t pooped in 24 hours... anyone when’s through this before?
PS. I haven’t slept and I am extremely emotional and fearful. My husband and mom are helping as much as they can but I can’t seem to stop wanting to control everything and everyone around me
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)