Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone else with a little one going through this lovely new virus!?!

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 9:05 AM
  • 9 Replies
my conner (two) has been throwing up and like wise from the other end since wednesday. he is soooo out of it. suppositories seem to be working, but they seem to knock him on his butt. ped. says he doesn't need a hospital trip unless he is throwing up once an hour (it's every couple).

we have tried: pedialite, gatorade, vitamin water, jello, oranges, apples, crackers, just about everything. of course, this is the time he has chosen to become a picky eater (i am sure his sick appetite doesn't help).

i think we are at the tail-end of this thing but:
any suggestions that have worked for others?
by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Tysmom3901
by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 9:11 AM
Both of my kids had that earlier this year.  I think you just pretty much have to try things to see if they keep them down, my boys couldn't keep anything down for the first day or two, not even water, it was ridiculous.  Pedialyte seemed to work well when they were starting to keep things down.
Rossmommy4
by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 9:29 AM

I'm not sure where you are at, but has your son had any Peter Pan or Great Value peanut butter.  I' m in Ok and we have had a few cases of Salminela poisoning  from the peanut butter.
connerchewysmom
by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 9:36 AM

Quoting Rossmommy4:

I'm not sure where you are at, but has your son had any Peter Pan or Great Value peanut butter.  I' m in Ok and we have had a few cases of Salminela poisoning  from the peanut butter.

thanks, and no, luckily he's not much of a fan of peanut butter. we had a brand new jar in the cupboard that we threw out.

doctor called it a "nero-virus" or in other words "i have no clue what it is or where it is coming from"!

i am just looking to make him comfy.
MomOfE
by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 9:36 AM
Hang in there! My  son (21mo.) got it first, then my husband and I got it 2 days later, hopefully it's just a stomach virus and not rotavirus. My doctor told us to try and get water or pedialyte into him, 1oz. every fifteen minutes. If you can't get him to drink it from a sippy cup or bottle, try an adult mug or cup. If he throws up wait 45 minutes then if it stays down every 15 minutes again.

Saltines are good, apple sauce is good, rice, if you can get him to eat it. It's such a nightmare when  your baby is sick. Just keep washing and purelling your hands so you don't get it also.

Once he feels better, he'll start eating again. Probably like a horse!

Good luck!

Jen:)
n8iveny
by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 9:57 AM
My Connor (and the rest of the family) had this at the beginning of January.  He couldn't keep anything down for 5 days.  Talk about scary.  My doctor also said 1 oz of water every fifteen minutes.  That giving them cups of water is bad because it is so much they just throw it back up.  Once the water stays down, switch to pedialyte or gatorade.  Then add a cracker or two.  If the puking starts again just back up a step.  But the 1 oz of water every fifteen minutes is enough to keep them from getting dehydrated.  Good Luck!!!!!
ChristinaR
by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 10:36 AM
try sprite and crackers, my daughter went thru it,, she kept it down, and the ped said it settles there tummy....
good luck and i hope he gets well soon
minnie2469
by on Feb. 26, 2007 at 3:03 PM
hi join the club my 2 been sick for about 3or 4 days with vomiting and coming out the other end.  this virius has been going around sense x-mas is what the doctor's office told me. they say the vomiting lasts for about 24 to 48 hours and the other lasts for about a week.they also say keep plenty of fluids in them .and don't let them eat anything when they stop throwing up and keep at least 8oz. of fluids down them than they can eat . like applesauce,crackers,chicken broth chicken soup they want u to keep them on a bland diet until they get  better.
whatabusyday
by on Feb. 26, 2007 at 3:09 PM
Hey, just wanted to say hang in there!  Your doing all the right things. I know your pain. That virus went through our house and lasted a month! We all got it one right after the other!  It was awful!  The only thing I can add is wash hands lots! LOL  Hope he feels better soon!

Lavelle
brokenangel816
by on Feb. 26, 2007 at 3:12 PM
My son got that and ended up in the hospital.  He was throwing up every 30 minutes or so and just wouldn't move.  Couldn't even get enough energy to roll over to get sick.  It was awful.  Keep trying the pedialyte...even in small doses really frequently.  Other than that the doctors told me to just cuddle with him and assure him I was there to make him feel better.  Like all things, this too shall pass. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)