Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

chiropractic allergy testing?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 6:28 PM
  • 6 Replies
We just got back from the chiropracter and he did some allergy testing where the kids sat in my lap and held a vial with a certain allergen in it and then the pressed down on my arm to see if they were sensitive to it. How does that work? He didn't explain it and it seems kind of hokey to me.
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
amberedwards26
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 6:29 PM
I work for a chiropractor and he has never done that..but it may be a specialty that Chiropractor is versed in....check with the DR.
Phippsandrea
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 6:30 PM
i have never heard of that b4. i would check it out if i were u bc most chiropraters are not real drs. and that is something serious if ur kids have allergies.
katykay
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 6:36 PM
I've heard of these types of testing, my mother is always trying to get me to do this but I think the results are sketchy. 

The basic premise of the test is if you are holding an item that you have an allergic sensitivity to it will cause muscle weakness, he is really stretching it by having you hold the vial and press on your arm to determine your child's sensitivity. 

There is an easy blood test (I mean when you compare to the evil scratch test) that can test for a broad range of allergens.  I would personally find that far more reliable. 

I love chiropractic and believe that it does help in a wide variety of ways...but this one is a bit far for me. 
4time-mom
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 6:36 PM
pressed on YOUR arm to see if the KID had a reaction?! sorry, but wtf?! how the heck does that even pretend to work?!
katykay
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 6:39 PM

Quoting Phippsandrea:

i have never heard of that b4. i would check it out if i were u bc most chiropraters are not real drs. and that is something serious if ur kids have allergies.

I'm sorry but yes Chiropractors are REAL Doctors.  They may not prescribe medications but they do have to pass medical boards and well as have stringent continuing education requirements. 

Chiropractic care has actually been around a lot longer than modern medicine and quite often they are able to show actual results from treatment. 

While this particular Dr. may have beliefs that differ it doesn't Chiropractic.  If it isn't right for you, great. 
merendofamily
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I was just searching for more info on this and came across this post.  I just had my daughter tested for this today and I have to say that I think it must work.  When she held the tube of calcium, she turned pale white, started sweating and her eyes got very heavy and she was really tired.  It was VERY STRANGE!!!  I guess only time will tell if it works.  Right now she has major stomach issues so we will see if the chiro can fix her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)