Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

HELP!!!!!!

Posted by on May. 24, 2007 at 3:28 PM
  • 19 Replies

I have a 9 Month old daughter and I am a new mom. She has two teeth and I was wondering when is it a good time to give her solids. I've asked the mothers in my family and they said that she is so advanced that they don't even know. So when is it a good time to start her on Solids?

by on May. 24, 2007 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
riamaekim
by on May. 24, 2007 at 3:30 PM
You could have started a few months ago.  We are talking baby food like Gerber, right?  Usually, rice cereal is what you would start with.  Are you seeing a pediatrician?  They should have told you when to start. 
E.D.I.
by on May. 24, 2007 at 3:30 PM
If she is growing well and developing normally, just let her be until she begins to show signs of readiness. Babies who are ready for solids have good head and trunk control, can sit with minimal support, and can grab objects and bring them to their mouths. If she isn't doing these things, she's not ready for solids. If she is, try having her practice with a baby teething biscuit at first. Then progress to pureed food on a spoon.
melissa1983
by on May. 24, 2007 at 3:31 PM
My 2nd son started eating my 1st sons table scraps at about 5 months old! My older son would share with him and he would eat it... I started giving him baby food after that. You can give them baby food any time and 9 months is a time for them to learn - give her soft foods like small banana pieces; although they are messy thats how a child learns good table manners and how to use utencils earlier. Baby food has less flavor than regular food so you might want to start her out with that to get her more used to the taste of solids.
E.D.I.
by on May. 24, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Quoting riamaekim:

You could have started a few months ago.  We are talking baby food like Gerber, right?  Usually, rice cereal is what you would start with.  Are you seeing a pediatrician?  They should have told you when to start. 

i agree, most babies start eating solids at 6 months.
Joneelaba
by on May. 24, 2007 at 3:35 PM

I should've given the whole story, but this is what is happening. She's 9 months and she eats the purees and the cereal I usually give her the baby biscuits but those get really soggy after one time in her mouth. I'm talking like harder things like not so lumpy mash potatoes and sweet potatoes.

alwayslacy
by on May. 24, 2007 at 3:38 PM

Doctors here say to start children on baby food at about four months.  This way it's put out there and they eventually get used to it.  Cereal is a good idea, but at 9 months, it's a good idea to try vegetables.  They have different numbers on the Gerber jars to tell you where to start first.  My kids loved vegetables and supposedly if they eat them at the youngest of ages, they actually like them when they get older.  Mine do!! 

Anyways, different children go at different steps.  Just always try new things.  Babies aren't near as fragile as we think!

riamaekim
by on May. 24, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Quoting Joneelaba:

I should've given the whole story, but this is what is happening. She's 9 months and she eats the purees and the cereal I usually give her the baby biscuits but those get really soggy after one time in her mouth. I'm talking like harder things like not so lumpy mash potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Oh, well you need to your doctor about that.  It may be a little bit soon for table food, although you know your child best.  If you can tell that he digests his food well and that he is able to chew a little bit without gagging, etc., then you are the only one that can determine that.  If you are concerned though, you should call your baby's doctor for an opinion like I said before.
ColoradoParent
by on May. 24, 2007 at 3:42 PM
They say to start at about 9 months.  My baby had 4 teeth by 9 months, and he ate a lot of solids, you just have to monitor him/her so that they don't stuff their mouths too full!  I fed him small bites of toast and kix at first.  Try those,  he loved them!
Ashley1906
by on May. 24, 2007 at 3:47 PM
I'm not sure when to give solid foods (i'm only pg no kids yet) but both my sisters, when they did give the kids food used a safe feeder, I think you might like it & it will help you fill a little better.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2404768&cp=2255957.2273443.2255981.2256162.2256179&parentPage=family
CosmicPossum
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2007 at 3:49 PM
My son didn't start to get teeth until he was nearly a year but that didn't stop him!  He was gumming vegetables to death by the time he was 6 months.  I found that if you mash them up well with a fork but leave a little texture to them they do just fine.  Feed her small bites (using your fingers works, you are her mom so who cares) and just keep an eye out for choking.  I think 9 months is fine to start on table foods that are soft and mashed up well.  And those baby biscuits normally just turn to mush!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)