Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I have a 9 Month old daughter and I am a new mom. She has two teeth and I was wondering when is it a good time to give her solids. I've asked the mothers in my family and they said that she is so advanced that they don't even know. So when is it a good time to start her on Solids?

by on May. 24, 2007 at 3:28 PM
Replies (11-19):
mammaoftwins
by on May. 24, 2007 at 3:51 PM
I started givein my boys soft solids probably before they were even 9 months. Soft I mean banana, spaghetti, raviaoli, peas, applesauce. Those types of things.
Hilary
cen_ada
by on May. 24, 2007 at 3:52 PM
I have six kids and they had mashed potatoes at 8 or 9 months of age was munching french fries at 7monthes and they are all just fine except for my last 2 have a rear genetic disorder MPS.
davidsmomma20
by on May. 24, 2007 at 3:54 PM
My advice is DO NOT start with teething bisquits.  3 of the children in my family have started to choke on those.  My fiancee and I use cheese puffs because they basically melt in your childs mouth.
Robsmommy
by on May. 24, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Quoting riamaekim:

You could have started a few months ago.  We are talking baby food like Gerber, right?  Usually, rice cereal is what you would start with.  Are you seeing a pediatrician?  They should have told you when to start.
My kids loved applesauce,still do!! If your little one doesn't like plain then try the cinnamon kind.  Best of luck!!!
Joneelaba
by on May. 24, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Quoting davidsmomma20:

My advice is DO NOT start with teething bisquits.  3 of the children in my family have started to choke on those.  My fiancee and I use cheese puffs because they basically melt in your childs mouth.

Thank you I was giving her those biscuits
mummiex2
by on May. 24, 2007 at 4:03 PM
My son got his first tooth at 6 months, and he didn't like the baby food much, but he LOVED the solids! its kinda a funny story of when he got his first tooth/first solid food... I was at my mom's and we were making lunch... grilled cheese sandwiches and my son kept reaching for mine and fussing, so i told him that when he got some teeth he could have a sandwich, it wasn't but a few minutes later he just started screaming, and sticking his fist in his mouth and low and behold his first tooth had popped through!! My mom said that I better stick to my word, so he shared my sandwich!!! LOL!!! And he ate regular solid food from that point on. I watched closely to make sure he was fine with what we gave him and never had any problems! Good Luck!!!
mamamia10
by on May. 24, 2007 at 4:03 PM
You should talk to your doctor I guess.  I'm an older mom and started my kids on cerial at a month old, which now they say is too soon.  They all loved eating.  By 9 mos they were eating mashed banana, mashed potatoes., and some Gerber finger foods.

It's new days I guess. Talk to the Doc
CEOMomof3
by on May. 24, 2007 at 4:08 PM
Hi, I am also new here. I am a mom of 3 (5yo, 3yo, & 10 mo). I must say every child is different. I know all three of mine where. Just make sure your little one can sit up on his own before giving them any solids. The baby brands have great starter cereals and puffs that start to dissolve as soon as they get wet. So, there is less of a chance of your little one choking. Most importantly though, never turn your back on them. It only takes a second for them to gag or choke. Remember that the first twelve months they get all their nutrition from formula or breast milk. Veggies, fruits, and solids are just for them to practice. Don't rush it, everyone is different, and if you are still not sure, ask your pediatrician. Hope this helps...best of luck...and enjoy every moment.
momtcare
by on May. 24, 2007 at 4:16 PM
I no that you are a new mom but you can start her on solids when you feel like it is a good time. My kids started before the got teeth. Just not hard food like meats and things like that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)