Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I need your help!!!!11

Posted by on May. 29, 2007 at 1:27 AM
  • 18 Replies

My soon to be sister in law has a 6 month old baby boy named Ryan.  She is feeding him food that he should not be eating like chicken strips for toddlers should I be worried..

thanks

by on May. 29, 2007 at 1:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RyAdsmom
by on May. 29, 2007 at 1:31 AM
She is feeding him reg food at 6 months?  She is brave!  Let her know that introducing foods early can cause Ryan to develop allergies and who knows what else!  She needs to let her pediatrician know what she is feeding this baby.  All you could do is offer info but ultimately it is her son, so cant really do much.  Send her articles that show how a 6 month old should be eating.  :)
goncrzyintx
by on May. 29, 2007 at 1:45 AM
Hey, don't really know what is going on on with her son but.....my first child I breast fed and at about 2 months old I noticed he was always hungry.  I could not keep him full.  So, I bought the baby bottle that you can put the first foods in and found that he would eat a meat, vegetable, and desert and then he would sleep through the night.  The only problem was that he loved the yellow vegetables and he had a yellow cast to his skin which made him look jaundiced.  The doctor that looked at him when he caught the flu said that was normal when they eat a lot of yellow vegetables.  So, eating food at an early age is all dependant on the child.  I also kept a child for first time parents and all he did was cry.  I could not stand this anymore and he was about 3-4 months old and I bought the first foods applesauce for him and fed him.  He quit crying and slept through the night.  I let the parents know what I did.  I could not handle him crying hour after hour and they then bought and fed him this until about 6 months old.  (He'll probably never like applesauce again!) Every child is different and you have to treat them accordingly.  Still I would not be feeding him adult food and would suggest the baby bottle with the wider hole in the nipple for the first foods or at least spoon feed him because there is less additives in this food.  I know each to his own but still be careful while doing it.  Last, it is her kid so don't be too upset if she does not accept your advise.   Good luck!
Squeaky79
by on May. 29, 2007 at 2:14 AM
When my oldest son was a baby (10 months old), my neighbor had to babysit for him in a pinch because the daycare was closed, and I remember when I picked him up after work, she told me she fed him Hamburger Helper for lunch.  I thought it was kind of funny because Ian didn't have teeth yet. 

I myself would worry the 6 month old was going to choke on something.
CoffeeFreak101
by on May. 29, 2007 at 2:27 AM
I didn't fed my son toddler food but, he seemed to always be hungry so my ped. said to put in on the dry cereal mix w/ formula. He hated it so I tried gerber jarred cereal and he loved it and ate it at 4 months old, we slowly progressed to all jarred babyfood before he was 6 months old. He is now 9 yrs. old and is not allergic to anything. I guess if it works for her, I would just cut everything really, really small and keep it as healthy foods as I could.
blue_tiger_rose
by on May. 29, 2007 at 2:33 AM
My pediatrician told me that an infant should not have anything but breast-milk or formula and maybe a little rice cereal till 6months of age cause their digestive systems can not handle it.
Not to mention she is running a bigger risk of obesity at a young age feeding a child those kind of foods and that is just plain dangerous.
Maybe you could do a little research and give it to her to let her know you are concerned but do it in a way that will not offend her. But it is her child and she will do what she wants not matter how you feel. So hopefully she is a receptive person.
OKmomma
by on May. 29, 2007 at 2:57 AM
She probably knows that pediatricians don't reccomend that, but all you can do is let her know your opinion, then step back and let her do her thing.  It's her child. 
shannikasmamma
by on May. 29, 2007 at 7:58 AM
I DONT KNOW HOW THEY ADVISE YOU IN WEANING IN AMERICA BUT IN ENGLAND THEY CHANGE THEIR MINDS ALL THE TIME .WITH MY ELDEST THEY SAID YOU COULD START WEANING AT 3MNTHS  AND EAT FINGER FOODS BY 6MNTHS THEN THEY CHANGED IT TO WEANING AT 4MNTHS ,NOW WITH MY YOUNGEST AT 9MNTHS IT WAS 6MNTHS ,SHE WAS MOANING AT MYSELF AND MY HUBBY IF WE WERE EATING OUR TEA IN FRONT OF HER AND LICKING HER LIPS , I WOULD JUST ADVISE YOUR FAMILY MEMBER TO MAKE SURE SHE DOESNT LEAVE HER CHILD ALONE WHILST EATING THE CHICKEN STRIPS ,IT IS A BIT YOUNG BUT IF THE CHILD ISN'T SATISFIED DO THEY HAVE BABY RUSKS  OVER THERE THAT'S ALWAYS A TUMMY FILLER AND EASY TO ABSORB AND FULL OF ALL THE RIGHT NUTRITIONS
Mindyb
by on May. 29, 2007 at 8:14 AM
Absolutely!!!! You need to remind her that babies tummies can't handle that, nor do they have the teeth to chew!!! I would tell her to call her pediatrician if she's unsure of what to feed the baby, that's dangerous.
brandonsmom1227
by on May. 29, 2007 at 8:40 AM
The key phrase is '6 month old BABY'.  Babies should not eat 'toddler' food for many reasons.  If your sis-in-law feels the baby is hungry all the time or not getting enough from formula, she should consider cereal and the dose should be a recommendation by her pediatrician only.   Typically a child's digestive tract does not fully develop until after 9 months.
mammaoftwins
by on May. 29, 2007 at 9:02 AM
I wouldn't worry about it, I had a friend who has 4 children and she always fed them food sooner than what you would think and they turned out ok. As long as she's watching him so he soesn't choke on something. If her Dr. doesn't know I'm sure he'll find out at some point and let her know if it's ok or not. My pediatrician always felt if the child's ready than it's not going to harm them. With the exception of Honey, PB, and strawberries, I hope she's staying away fromt hose until he's one.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN