Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My soon to be sister in law has a 6 month old baby boy named Ryan.  She is feeding him food that he should not be eating like chicken strips for toddlers should I be worried..

thanks

by on May. 29, 2007 at 1:27 AM
Replies (11-18):
OKmomma
by on May. 30, 2007 at 12:57 AM

Quoting shannikasmamma:

I DONT KNOW HOW THEY ADVISE YOU IN WEANING IN AMERICA BUT IN ENGLAND THEY CHANGE THEIR MINDS ALL THE TIME .WITH MY ELDEST THEY SAID YOU COULD START WEANING AT 3MNTHS  AND EAT FINGER FOODS BY 6MNTHS THEN THEY CHANGED IT TO WEANING AT 4MNTHS ,NOW WITH MY YOUNGEST AT 9MNTHS IT WAS 6MNTHS ,SHE WAS MOANING AT MYSELF AND MY HUBBY IF WE WERE EATING OUR TEA IN FRONT OF HER AND LICKING HER LIPS , I WOULD JUST ADVISE YOUR FAMILY MEMBER TO MAKE SURE SHE DOESNT LEAVE HER CHILD ALONE WHILST EATING THE CHICKEN STRIPS ,IT IS A BIT YOUNG BUT IF THE CHILD ISN'T SATISFIED DO THEY HAVE BABY RUSKS  OVER THERE THAT'S ALWAYS A TUMMY FILLER AND EASY TO ABSORB AND FULL OF ALL THE RIGHT NUTRITIONS
That's true here too, they change their minds with the seasons, and not just about food, about everything else too.  I think they just say, "this didn't work, lets tell them to do something else and see if that works"
JerseyGirl1982
by on May. 30, 2007 at 1:01 AM
my son Mickey was eating mashed potatoes at 7 months old but i dont think i would have given him anything like that,,,
silver1113
by on May. 30, 2007 at 9:05 AM
I wouldnt worry too much. Things have changed so much over the years as far as child rearing.  My oldest son 18 was eating jr. whoppers at 1 yr. He was very small when he was born and so was started on baby cereal at 2 wks. by the time he was 6 months old he was eating all of the regular baby food. He is a very healthy adult. He is 6 ft and weight 175. He is neither allergic to any foods nor his he obese. These are all the things the dr. try to warn you about. I'm not saying it can't happen but, it doesn't always. Quite frankly and it is just my opinion, if a child is going to be alergic to something it is going to just happen. The doctors change their minds all the time about what you should and shouldn't do.
AnnieGLawless
by on May. 30, 2007 at 11:34 PM
I would worry too. I am not sure what I would say to her but make a wrong into a right. That is what I am thinking. Good luck.
gin198806
by on May. 30, 2007 at 11:36 PM

all children are different if he's doing fine don't be worried

tehyaayana
by on May. 30, 2007 at 11:40 PM
i guess it just depends on the parent.one time i was at a picnic on hubbys side of fam. and a girl was letting her 6 month old eat a hotdog all by himself.now i would never have done that i can say they may have gotten just a tiny bit of mashed potatoes or a lick of ice cream.but that was it besides baby food and cereal.
dannigirl16
by on May. 31, 2007 at 12:02 AM
I have a food pyramid for baby's first year that was given to me by my pediatrician ...Going by the pyramid it says 6-7 month old baby's should be eating Breast Milk/Iron fortified formula, Infant cereal (rice, oats, barley), Vegetables & fruits strained/blended and fruit juice from a cup. As parents we all know that children develop in different stages and at their own pace, so in your case I think that the child's mother is the best judge on whether her child is ready for finger foods or not. If your worried find a pyramid like the one I have online and offer it to her ...She probably is not aware that she may be putting her child at risk of choking (is this her first child?) ...If she chooses not to use the info you gave her, atleast you did your part and tried.
Jocelyn22407
by on May. 31, 2007 at 1:10 AM

I JUST WORRY ABOUT RYAN HE IS NOT IN THE BEST OF HANDS YES THIS IS HER FIRST.  SHE WAS FEEDING THIS TO HIM A 4 MONTHS.  I HAVE A 3 MONTH OLD AND I ONLY GIVE HER INFANT FORMULA.  SHE WAS BORN 5 WEEKS EARLY.  IM AFRAID THAT WHAT HEATHER IS DOING IN THE LONG RUN WILL HURT RYAN.  SHE LIVES IN NOT A SO CLEANED HOUSE AND THE FLOOR IS SO DURTY THAT KID CAN PICK UP ANYTHING IN HIS MOUTH AND EAT IT.  I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING BUT WHAT DO I KNOW MY DAUGHTER IS ONLY 3 MONTHS

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)