Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CafeMom Theme - The story of your child's birth

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2007 at 12:27 AM
  • 16 Replies

Share the story of your child's birth.

Read what other moms are writing

Write your own post

View prior themes

Feel free to post your response here, in the journals, or both!Smile
by on Mar. 3, 2007 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Mar. 3, 2007 at 12:51 AM


Well starting off by telling you about Emily's birth I would have to tell you the whole story about before labor.
Labor began the following day of sept 26, 2006 I was not feeling well and i had already had some pains and it was night time about 9:30 pm and i was sitting outside and I said i think it is time to go well we all flipped out because my mom was gone in my car so i had to call a friend to come get me well when i got there it was a false alarm and i was 36 wks pregnant so they kept me and induced me by time the doctor can in and checked my amniotic fluids i had none so they said i needed to get a epidural and that medicine that induces your labor so they gave me patosin i think that was what it was and about 3 hours later they gave me an epidural and i was crying my eyes out because i was scared of that needle going in my back well after the epidural i started not to feel any pain till after an hour or so and i had this pocket that i was hurting really bad in and i was feeling my contraction so they had to lean me over for the epidural to get on my right side so after that it was as smooth as a piece of glass i felt nothing even when i was pushing for 10 minutes. I had Emily at 12:07 pm on September 26, 2006 and she had the most beautiful cry i have ever heard, well after i heard he i wanted to get up and see her so i stood up and I fell straight to the ground because i had not feeling waist down because of the epi. well after a day or so went by i started having good feeling and me and the baby are still kicking...

by on Mar. 3, 2007 at 1:08 AM

I woke up at 4:00 am on 1/27/07 feeling somewhat sharp pains in my lower tummy and they were pretty close together so I woke up my fiance and told him we needed to go to the hospital. He jumps up and runs around trying to get everything ready. When he returned to the bedroom I had my leg propped up on the trash can painting my toe nails and had my hair straightner heating up...he just looked at me and asked what in the world I was doing lol. Got to the hospital and was dilated to a 3, walked for an hour and got to a 4, my midwife broke my water, before I knew it I was 5,6,7 but for some reason stopped right there. They tried lying me on my side but my blood pressure would go way down and so would my daughters heart rate. Her head was not moving down far enough and they started to discuss a c-section with me. Meanwhile, all the women in the rooms close to me were screaming their heads off and scaring me to death! My midwife was determined to get her here without the c-section, I started pushing and an hour later she was here! She arrived at 9:30 pm...17 1/2 hours of labor...not too bad.

by on Mar. 3, 2007 at 6:35 AM

Being that Dustin is my first and only child I really didn't know what to expect. I mean, I'd read all the books and magazines I could and articles on labor, etc. . Anyways, I woke up one Sunday morning just like always. I'd gone to the bathroom. There was blood everywhere. So naturally I start freaking out and calling for dh to come in the bathroom now !. He comes running in the bathroom wanting to know what's going on. He sees the blood and immediately calls the Dr. . (this was on a Sunday morning) Unfortunately my Dr's partner - a real jerk - is on call. He calls back and tells us - nonchalantly - that it is normal, dont' worry about it, and to carry on about our business of the day. That isn't good enough for dh. He went off on him. He was like "what the 'heck' do you mean it's normal ?. since when is it normal for a woman to look as though she is bleeding to death ?".
Well anyway, he gets off the phone with him and makes me lie on the couch for a while. So I start calling every woman I know who has had kids. They all tell me they had never had that happen to them, and, it even freaked some of them out too.
As the day progresses, the evening comes. That's when the pain begins to come. As the night goes on it starts getting worse. Dh was a truck driver at the time. He worked half an hour away from the house. He was supposed to leave early for work the next morning. At around midnight, he calls his supervisor and tells him he's taking me to the hospital. He says ok but he has to take the paperwork back to the office so he can get someone else to replace him the next day. My hubby worked half an hour away at the time. I told him if he had to leave me, to please hurry !. And do you know he made it to the office and back home in less than half an hour ?.!.
He gets back home and we head to the hospital. And of course I didn't know why we were there because they'd sent me back home so many times before. The nurse comes in and sees me crying. She asks what's wrong. I tell her I didn't know why I was there because I just knew they were going to send me home. She assured me that she didn't think that was going to happen. She said she'd send another nurse in to check me. That in itself was an awkward moment. The next nurse that came in was someone I'd gone to high school with !.
Anyways, they decided to keep me. And, the next morning, my doctor whom I still love to this day, lol, came in and broke my water. Later that afternoon, Dustin was born at 3:54 pm, weighing 6 lbs 15 oz. and 20 in long.
On a side note, we all still laugh about this. Earlier in the year, in Feb. , one of my best friends had a baby boy. The next day, we'd gone to see her at the hospital. As we were looking at her new son, her hubby looks at my hubby and jokes that we just might be next. That night I did a home pregnancy test and found out I was pregnant lol !.
I called her at the hospital the next day to check on her. She said she was fine. I said that that was good. I said (jokingly) that her behind was mine when she got home. She laughed and asked, "What did I do ?." I told her about the night before and finding out I was pregnant. LOL. We still laugh about it to this day !.

by on Mar. 3, 2007 at 6:36 AM
well I have had five but my most interesting was my third son. He was ten days late and I thought he would never come out. My inlaws had come to stay with us on there way down to FLA well the day they left is the day he decided to come out. I had some labor pains during the day I watched one boy after school and had to pick him up at three. I was feeling pains and went and got him anyway called dh when I got home and said I think you better come home he said okay I'm on my way. I tried to call my sil but she was in meetings and she was suppose to watch my two older boys while I had him. I called one of my neighbors and said I am ready to have this baby can you take the boys till my sil gets here she said fine. Well dh gets home by now its four and he decides to take a shower get himself ready and then we are out in the driveway and hes trying to decide if he should put the car in garage I'm like I'm having contactions like every two mins. and we are 45 mins from the hospital in no traffic. Well we leave the house finally at 4:30 and we get there at a little after five well as soon as I get there the baby is ready to fall out I was fully dilated and they were all in shock no time for an epi two pushes he was out. So when I had #4 and #5 they would not let me go into labor on my own they thought I would have them in the car so the nice thing was I got to pick the date and go early which was so nice. All my kids were fast labors
by on Mar. 3, 2007 at 7:39 AM
The longest-- and the greatest day of my life, began at around 4:30 am when my water broke. It was two weeks before my due date, and at first, I thought that my bladder had just finally given out! We were at the hospital within an hour, and were ready to go from there. When I had not dilated at all by 10:30, my doctor induced me, which led to contractions every two minutes for pretty much the rest of the day! At around 4:30, they decided to give me an epidural, but the doctor was tied up doing a face lift! (boy, was I mad!!!). I was given Demerol to hold me over, and finally at around 5:00, I was given the epidural, and managed to nap for a half hour. I pushed for the next couple of hours, with no progress. I later learned that the umbilical cord was wrapped around my baby's neck, preventing him from moving any farther through my pelvis. I ultimately had an emergency C-section, and at around 10:30 that night, was handed my beautiful baby boy!!
by on Mar. 3, 2007 at 7:55 AM
Well, since I've had four.......My 3rd was 10 days late, the first 2 were early, so I had to go for a bfp - they scheduled me to be induced for 2 days later so of course I went into labor that night!  Got to the hospital with terrible contractions, was put in a room & given an epidural.  The epidural started to wear off & I felt like I needed to push, being that this was my third & I though I would only have to push a couple of times we decided to forego another dose of drugs......BIG mistakeSurprised!  Turns out he was sunny side up, so finally after almost 3 hellish hours he came a poppin out at an amazing 9lbs 11oz & 23 1/2 inches long - I mean was this a newborn or a 3 month old!  My last delivery, 12/15/06, again baby was late, started having contractions & when they tried to check me they couldn't tell what position the baby was in because my "bag was bulging".  So they did a sono to make sure she was head down, then left the room for a minute.  My next 2 contractions were excrutiating - then in the middle of the second I hear POP!!!!  I swear that my water shot through the maternity ward..........there was so much!  My fiance was like uhhhhhhhhh, should I get the nurse!  I finally got my epidural & about a half hour later I started to feel pressure.  I called the nurse in & she checked me then started to get dressed as she went running to the hall calling for the midwife.  2 pushes later there was Gaby at another amazing 9lbs 7 oz 20 1/2 inches!  So totally worth any pain that I had endured!!!!!!
by on Mar. 3, 2007 at 8:32 AM
Well my first daughter(which is my only for now) i had right after my 16th birthday.For three days in a row before i actually went in to have her i was in the triage department because i was having really strong contractions and i was having a hard time going to the bathroom.They saw that my contractions were very strong but they werent dialating me at all so they couldnt keep me.but the third night i went in i was still having a hard time going to the bathroom so they told me i needed to do an enema(constipation curer)so we went to the store and got one and did it and instead of it causing me to have to go to the bathroom is broke my water and next thing i knew we were on our way to the hospital.i live right down the street from the hospital and since we had plenty of practice getting to the hospital we got there pretty at 9:30pm on june 21st of 2005 i arrived in the triage and they didnt know weather to believe me or not since they had seen me so much the past week.There wasnt a room right away so i had to wait,and by the time they got me into a room i was already 4 cm,so they did my enrollment information took some blood and gave me my epidural.By 10pm i was in my bed comftorable with no pain whatsoever.i got stuck at 6 cm and they had to give me pitocin but it wasnt doing they kept loosing her heart beat so they had to put in a vaginal monitor.and they told me that if in an hour i didnt make any progress we would have to do a csection.....and an hour later they came in and i was ready to push.i went from 6-10 in an hour.i pushed for a little over an hour and out popped my beautiful baby 6:22 am june 22nd,2005 weighing in at 7lbs. 10oz. 193/4 inches long.full head of jet black hair,that has now turned brown.I only got to see her for a few minutes before they had to rush her off to the nursery because she wasnt breathing fiancee went with her and stayed by her side,she ended up being fine but i didnt get to hold her until 8 hours after her was the best day of my life.and luckily my epidural didnt wear off until she was out,but i did have to feel the pain of them sewing me up because i tore a epidural literally ran out the second she came out.thats my experience.and now almost 2 years later that beautiful baby is getting ready to turn  2 and i am ready to go through the experience again i just gotta start trying and hope it works.
by on Mar. 3, 2007 at 9:00 AM
oh wow! This is a great one I would love to hear other stories!!! Well....

The day before I went into labor I'd spent the day with my mother-in-law.
That was a very stressful day-too long to talk about.
The next morning around six, I started having contractions. I wasn’t sure if they were the real thing so I timed them and called my mother. She said go to the hospital.
I didn’t really want to go, but Alex and I figured better safe than sorry right?
Not long after we got there they check my cervix (the first of too many times) and the nurse said I was two centimeters dilated, and I was in labor. Actually, I’d heard the nurse down the hall say my name and say I was in labor before she even came and told me.
I tried not to panic or worry, but it was hard not to. I’d had a feeling for weeks that Chloe was coming early, call it mother’s intuition, but now that she was coming, I just knew she wasn’t ready. She had six weeks to go.
They sent me up to a labor and delivery room and settled me in to have a baby.
Hours passed. Understandable since I was only two centimeters dilated. Another few hours passed and after first saying I was having a baby sometime that day, they were now saying they were going to move me to an ante partum room.
The next day I was still two centimeters.
The day after that I went up one centimeter.
I went in on Tuesday. FRIDAY came and they finally decided to give me some medicine to try and stop the contractions. Three shots alternating arms. Before they’d only given me medicine to relax me and that was only when I asked for it, which was when the pain was just too bad for me to take. REALLY good stuff that I turned out being ALLERGIC to!!! Talk about loooopy! But it made me itch on my stomach and thighs.They gave me Benedryll. I was so out of it that when I looked at Alex I didn't  see his head or neck.  The nurse who gave me the shot to try and stop them said as long as I didn’t have more than four contractions in an hour I should be alright. After the last shot the contractions came every few minutes. Once again the nurse came and checked my cervix. I was four centimeters apart, so the doctor decided to send me back to labor and delivery and break my water (might I also add that MY doctor was out of town that week).
I decided to have an epidural.
I was so scared while they were doing it. But Alex was there supporting me, keeping me focused. I think I flinched really bad once and the had to start over. But after that kicked in everything was all good. My legs felt all rubbery, even well after having Chloe.
After five or ten minutes of pushing, I don’t really know how long I pushed, but I’d say I pushed maybe four times, Chloe Grace was here, at 8:10 4bbs  15oz. 17.5 inches long already crying. They fllopped her on me right out of the womb and I got to hold her for a minute of so, before they cleaned her up. My husband was able to carry her to NICU and she was just placed under a warmer she didn't have to be placed in an incubator.
The doctor said it’s a good thing she was born when she was because her umbilical cord was tied in a tight knot. I saw it. It was very gross, and the not was hurge. Apparently, she hadn’t been getting fed.But everything was fine. To this day I sometime wonder how she escaped not being caught in that knot somehow. Not being strangled. But she was very active. And I try not to question God's doing.

by on Mar. 3, 2007 at 10:12 AM
Ok, both of my labors & pregnancies were so different from each other. With Dominic (5) the pregnancy went so smoothly, no pain, no cramps, no sickness, only gained 22 lbs. Then with the labor, I was induced. They had me go to the hospital the night before, got me all set up in my room, gave me the pitosin & then a few hours later, so I could sleep (although I wasnt feeling the contractions...probably due to the adrenaline rush) they gave me demoral(sp?). Then my parents showed up (from LI) & since visiting hours were over they were only allowed to see me for a little bit--I was told not to fight the demoral, but I did. It didnt seem to affect me though, because I was in & out of sleep all day. Finally at 10 after 1 (pm) They woke me because my contractions were strong & close together. **They gave me so much epi, that I felt nothing.** They had to tell me to push cause I couldnt feel it & finally an hour later at 2:13 pm, Dominic came -- 7lbs 10oz 21inches! With my second pregnancy, I was sick as a dog for 9 months!! Nothing helped, I couldnt keep anything down, but preggie pops helped ease the nausea--anyway... as I got bigger, I was in more & more pain. Ian kept pushing down on my cervix & at one point he did it during a dr visit & I ripped the "leather" of the exam table!! Anyway, On Jan 8 I had a check up--I was 1cm dialiated. The dr. gave me the option to be induced & I said "Hell yeah, I was ready 2 months ago" LOL. So that night as I was leaving for the hospital--I had the worst contraction (remember I didnt feel any w/ Dominic) I doubled over in pain in my kitchen, couldnt move!! Then sat down & made 5 calls to let people know what was going on... we get to the hospital, it takes them over 1/2 an hour to start getting me prepped... I finally get to a room, I go through all that I did before, Pitosin, demoral, & finally epi!! I was contracting so bad at that point, I was so happy to get the epi. Well, as the anesthesiollogist puts the needle in my back, I jump! MY WATER BROKE at that exact moment! I started crying--They had to break mine w/ Dominic & did it after I had the epi...from there it was smooth sailing, although, I kept feeling contractions--Since I didnt feel them w/ Dominic, I thought maybe they didnt give me enough epi, but they wouldnt give me more :( Finally it came time to push... I was telling them this time, but they wouldnt let me. My doctor ran into surgery!! WTF??? LOL. So at 10:05 am I start pushing, But everytime I push, he comes down, but when I stop, he goes back up! It was very frustrating! At 10:30, my dr said that if he's not out in 1/2 an hour, Im getting a c-section. Just then I started crying!! I didnt want that, not after going that far. Well, let me tell you... that boy was born 1/2 an hour later at 11:02am at 8lbs 6.6oz 20 inches long! He was definitely worth the struggle!! *sorry for the novel :)
by on Mar. 3, 2007 at 10:24 AM
My son was a week late... no fun for me! I had to be induced. While I was pushing his heart rate kept dropping, so the made me stop pushing. That was the most painful part!!! He was stuck in the birth canal so I ended up having a c-section. I had to wait almost 45 minutes for the doctor to get to the hospital. That may not seem like a long time, but when you trying not to push without pain meds... it seemed like forever! But finally my little boy was born. My daughter's delivery went a lot better. I even got to pick her b-day! The 2nd c-section was much easier. And now I have two beautiful kids!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)