Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

lice questions!!!!

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 8:51 PM
  • 24 Replies
well i went to the doctors the other day because my hair has been falling out,and the doctor told me i have HEAD LICE!!! so i went home and check my SO and my kids and we all have.the doctor gave us all a perscription for Lindane but im affraid to use it because i read the panflit it came with and every other sentence said it can cause seizures especialy in people under 110lbs.i weight 112 and my kids are only 20 and 25 lbs.i dont want to take any chances at all its realy freaking me out!!! also i dont know what to do with the furnature,should i spray it with something or what? and what safe my my kids?the 2 and 9 months any help would be great!!!
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eyegirl
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 8:56 PM
First of all call the Dr. tell them your cocerns about the medication side affects.Rid has a spray for youf furniture.Wash all bedding and clothes in hot water and hang on line to dry Sunlight will help kill any thing left over. Rember you have to get rid off the nits as well as the adult lice.Also check the internet for home remidies.
babpepp
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 8:58 PM
There is a product at Wal-Mart or any drug store called Ridx. It is lice removing shampoo. There is also spray for your furniture. Put all of the kids stuffed animals in a garbage bag TIED TIGHT foe two weeks. Wash ALL of your blankets, sheet, etc. in HOT water. It may take a few times to get rid of it all the way. My kids have gotten it a couple of times from school. I hope this helps you. Good luck!
babpepp
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 9:00 PM
There is also an electric comb for lice at Wal-Mart. I have one. It works really good! If you have any questions, send me a message.
momof4plus
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 9:00 PM
MAYO WILL SMUTHER THEM ALSO BUT YOU WILL NEED TO WASH ALL BEDDING AND SPRAY THE FURNITURE...
newmom4302007
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 9:01 PM
Try Ridd. We used it as kids. Also there is something else mom used, I'll have to ask her. Anyway you wash the clothes, lennins, toys and anything else washable with it. But fair warning it really stinks. Try washing your and the kids hair every day, or every other day. You'll find that lice are attracted to dirty heads before they'll go for clean ones. As far as the couch goes, I'll have to get in touch with om about that too. Postthe answers later.
ErinGoBragh
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 9:01 PM
i had lice 6 times when i was younger everytime my momw ould break down and let me play with this one girl in our neighborhood i would get it needless to say i wasnt allowed to play with her after the last time what you have to do is wash your kids hair with a little bit of the green dog shampoo if the RX makes you nervous put all theri stuffed animals in black garbage bags their sheets in the dryer on HOT and soak all your hair brushes in bleach and hot water and after that if you want to keep the lice away rinse your hair with vinegar i know it sounds weird but it make your hair so smooth the lice cant stick to it and it makes it really shiny to
LaRock
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 9:06 PM
Ok my daughter had it about 5 times in one month the only one out of 6 of us.  Come to find out she was getting them from someone on her bus.  The doc told me to get vitamin B  it is called burers yeast.  Take it as the bottle says.  and use shampoo with coconut shampoo and conditioner.  The bugs don't like it.  and wash everything as every else said.  Another thing it does work and it totally safe.  Put maynoise in the hair and leave on over night we used shower caps.  And then wash it out we did this about 3 ngihts in a row just to be safe.  It smoothers them.  The only side effect is your hair is going to look greasy but we rather have greasy then lice.  I hope this works for you.  Since my kids have started the vitamin and the shampoo we haven't had to deal with since thank God.
hrdezurik
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 9:18 PM

When my kids got lice the doctors said to put baby oil in their hair. and Vaseline in my sons hair because its so short. I hope this helps.

heather

JenniferJoy73
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 9:35 PM
My 2 year old got lice from me when I brought it home from my first grade classroom.  I washed everyone's hair with the Walmart brand lice shampoo (it has the same ingredients as Rid but less expensive).  We also cleaned the house from top to bottom, vacuuming the couch and all upholstery, then spraying it with the spray that comes with the kit.  Don't forget to throw out the the vacuum cleaner bag.  I didn't just wash the combs/brushes, I threw them out and bought new ones - they're not that expensive.  Also, you have to clean out your vehicles.  My husband cleaned out our van and his truck - they probably had never been cleaner.  A lot of people that have lice again and again forget to clean out their cars.  Don't forget to check hair for lice every day for about two weeks to pick out the nits.  I also started washing her hair with shampoo/conditioner in one.  The conditioner makes her hair slicker and the lice can't stick to it as well.  Hope this helps.
ToniTennille
by Member on Jun. 6, 2007 at 11:13 PM
Two summers ago two of my kids had lice. I was too embarassed to ask for any help, now I know better. We ended up using Rid-X and ended up spending over $300 dollars by the time we got rid of those darn things! It also took over a month to get rid of them. My sister's daughter ended up getting them and the Doctor gave her the same stuff the Doc gave you. My Niece is perfect fine and had NO side effects from it. On top of the fact it only took a few days to get rid of them. If we ever end up with them again, which I pray to god we don't I would rather use the stuff from the doctor. Just my two cents!
Toni
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN