Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

migraines in children

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2007 at 11:41 PM
  • 12 Replies
Does anyone have a child that suffers from migraines?  let me know.
by on Jun. 7, 2007 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelmama90
by on Jun. 7, 2007 at 11:44 PM
I do!
I suffer from them also.
evshawmom
by on Jun. 8, 2007 at 8:22 AM
Hi,
My son is soon to be 10 in July and he suffers from them. We have tried to give him medicine for them, but frankly they make him sick. When he does have them, we lay him in the room, dark and very quiet, and I lay a cold compress on his head. I rub the bottom part of his feet ( there are pressure points there) once it is a "normal headache" I have my son suck on peppermint. If it is not going away with the rubbing of feet, I rub peppermint oil on his head it does work. ALWAYS have peppermint in the house.

I have looked into what would trigger a Migraine for him and there are several things that perhaps is happening to your child.

Tomatoes
Gateraide is huge with this
Doritoes
Salt

Once I cut down on these his headaches have seem to go away for the most part.

Let me know if this helps and good luck, I feel for you. It is so hard having a child with them

Evshawmom
MomLather
by on Jun. 8, 2007 at 8:23 AM
My son gets them periodically.
sweetemotions
by on Jun. 8, 2007 at 8:23 AM
YES MY 16 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER HAS BEEN SUFFERING FROM THEM FOR A FEW YEARS NOW!!!!!
Truckerswife06
by on Jun. 8, 2007 at 8:24 AM
My children don't. But I got my first migraine when I was in the 3rd grade.
TableforSeven
by Judy on Jun. 8, 2007 at 8:58 AM
My middle daughter suffers from migraines -- she's 10.5 now but started getting them when she was only _8_.  We've been able to track most of her triggers -- dehydration and stress being the big-ones.  Thankfully - plain old Advil still works to get her out of the pain (most of the time)....we have a doctors note and keep her Advil at the school so she can take it as soon as she feels even the slightest headache coming on....it works most of the time if she catches it fast enough....but sometimes there's nothing we can do but find her a quiet place to lay down.  We've been in steady contact with her pediatrician about it for a few years now and are tracking patters and if the treatment works -- if she needs it in the future the doc will give her a perscription.....but we're hoping to put that off as long as possible.

She got them from me....this is one trait I wish I hadn't passed on.
Jillysmom
by on Jun. 8, 2007 at 7:19 PM
My older DD gets them but she full grown. If it helps I have noticed that kids that get them young seem to get rid of them wnet they hit purberty
TableforSeven
by Judy on Jun. 8, 2007 at 7:54 PM

Quoting Jillysmom:

If it helps I have noticed that kids that get them young seem to get rid of them wnet they hit purberty

From your lips to G-d's ears!!  I really hope my 10 year old outgrows them.
ambrsks01
by on Jun. 8, 2007 at 8:02 PM
My daughter is 5 and sometimes complains her head hurts, but I give her tylenol and she is ok.  I however, had migraines when I was little.  They gave me tylenol with codiene because nothing else worked.  Stress was the main cause of mine.  My family Dr. definitely was the one to talk to about it.

Marie
labtechmom
by on Jun. 8, 2007 at 8:13 PM
my 10 year old daughter got one today!  She has had two before but this one was BAD....She was screaming so I took her to the Dr and he gave her Imitrex and she still threw up 4 more times!  Funny, that she has been eating alot of Doritoes I normally don't let her have them...He said for her to try Aleve as soon as he feels one coming on. I get migraines but not real bad, my husband had them when he was a kid.  I am really glad I found this post...God works in mysterious ways!  Maybe we can support each other with this!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)