Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All baby wants to do is nurse

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 8:06 AM
  • 4 Replies

Help me Help me Help me! My son is 3 weeks old. He sleeps well at night, but during the day he turns in an eating machine. Yesterday he nursed for 3 hours Every-time that I tried to remove him from my nipple he would scream bloody murder. He didn't want a pacifier, he didn't want his swing, he didn't want anything other than the nipple. I even gave him a bottle of formula to try to satiate him (he ate it and STILL wanted to nurse) I hear different things such as 10 minutes on each breast, but that doesn't seem to go over well with my tyke. I can't breastfeed  all day...any ideas out there in cyberspace?

by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 8:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
momof4qtz
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 8:11 AM
My daughter is 2 1/2 months old & I breastfeed her exclusively.  Sometimes, especially during the first month, she has her days where she just wants to eat alot, but a couple of times I felt like she was just not satisfied - sounds like what you are describing.  Turns out that she was just really gassy & irritable, I guess that feeding so much got her mind off that.  I gave her a little belly massage & played bicycle with her, she got the gas out & stopped eating!  Maybe that is your little ones problem too!  Try the bicycle & see if it relieves him - otherwise just hang in there........"This too shall pass".......lol!
agiswander
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 8:27 AM
Hello . It has been a long time since I nursed my 11 yr old. But he was the same way. I tried everything. It had lasted about 2 or 3 days. My doctor told me he was getting enough it is just that he is going through a growth spurt as they often do. So maybe that is the problem. Unfortunately there is nothing to do for that but feed. 
bhwrn1
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 8:51 PM
Growth Spurt! They get them at 3 days, 3 weeks and 3 months. Hang in there. It will pass. Take him off and burp often. I find when I pat my little one's back (who loves to scream when he comes off the breast) he calms down. Unfortunately, they have their own little minds that you just cannot read at this stage!
Don't get too frustrated. I gave formula, too, but it didn't always work. Let us knwo what happens.
Jodee
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 3:40 PM
My baby is nine weeks old today and I am breastfeeding too, sometimes he eats every hour and a half, and it is a half an hour on each side (sometimes 45mins or more..lol) I feel like all I am is a buffett at times!! I always read about women breast feeding for 15-20 minutes on each side, but I have tried and it never works for me. So I understand how you are feeling, One good thing is that my milk supply is really good so he wount ever starve...lolWink
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)