Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Zoloft & breastfeeding?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2007 at 1:49 PM
  • 7 Replies
Need your help badly. Looking for experiences b/c i know opinions can get heated on this subject. My OB says it's perfectly fine to continue breastfeeding while on Zoloft (50mg). The pediatrician does not suggest it. My breastfeeding book says Zoloft is the only antidepressant that is ok. Anyone have stories for me of experience with this. Having a hard time without more real life experiences...Help! xoxoMelanie
by on Jun. 9, 2007 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mamaz
by on Jun. 9, 2007 at 1:53 PM
ok. i'm a pharmacy technician. i'll check and see what it says about breastfeeding on that drug.

FDA approved drug handbook (i'm so special now j/k) it says:

Lactation: Enters breast milk/not recommended (AAp rates"of concern")

don't take it. find anothe kind
bunnyrh
by on Jun. 9, 2007 at 1:57 PM

I breastfed while taking Zoloft.  My family was up in arms about it (my aunt called every pharmicist in town and asked them if it was okay.  She was convinced I was killing my child). 

My OB said it was fine and so did my baby's doctor.  I called and specifically asked her pediatrician and I didn't even have to say "I'm taking Zoloft".  She said to me "Are you taking Zoloft?  Then I'm not worried about it."  It gave me a lot of peace to know that my pediatrician was supportive. 

Your OB wouldn't prescribe something that wasn't okay for baby if they know you are breastfeeding (lawsuit city!!!).  Not sure why your pediatrician doesn't approve.  As I said, mine did.  I also took Ativan while nursing. 

If you do a search for Zoloft breastfeeding, you'll see that most articles say it appears to be safe or the safest choice, etc.  I think it will have to come down to what you are most comfortable with and if you have a doctor that you can trust.  Good luck! 

jah91172
by on Jun. 9, 2007 at 2:01 PM
My docs, (shrink, ob, ped) all said it was a no-no. It was a very hard thing for me to accept since I had breastfed the other two. I don't envy your decision. Good luck.
june_bug71281
by on Jun. 9, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Generic Name Sertraline Hydrochloride  Trade Name Zoloft/Lustral  Manufacturer Pfizer 

Zoloft/Lustral

Risk Category   C
  • Studies on animals show adverse effect and toxicity on fetus.
  • No adequate and well controlled studies done on pregnant women.
  • Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit outweighs the potential risk to the fetus.

FDA Pregnancy Risk Categories

Place (not click) your mouse cursor over the bold words in the text below to receive description  Indication 

• Antidepressant.
  • Selective inhibitor of serotonin reuptake.
 Fetal Risk  

• Teratogenic in some animals causing craniofacial malformations and fetotoxic at high doses causing delayed ossification and decreased post natal survival.
  • Limited human data and doubtfull association with congenital malformations.
  • Potential for behavioral teratogenicity, unknown long-term effects on the brain of children exposed in utero.
 Breast Feeding  

• Excreted into milk, unknown effects on nursing infants.
 Other Trade Names 

june_bug71281
by on Jun. 9, 2007 at 4:13 PM

You should ask your Dr. about Wellbutrin that's what my ob has me on, and i know that it is a class B drug, so it is safer than Zoloft.  Also it helps me stay clam and think more clearly, I love it and highly recommend it.

Braylonsmommy
by on Jun. 10, 2007 at 1:22 AM
I was put on Zoloft right after I had my son.  He is now 4 months old and still breastfeeding and I have had no problems at all!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)