Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

HELP?!?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2007 at 11:50 PM
  • 12 Replies
I think my son has thrush.  My doctors office isn't open until tomorrow morning and I don't know if I should take him to the ER tonight or just wait til the morning.  Anyone gone through it?  What symptoms did your child have?  What did they do to treat it?
by on Jun. 9, 2007 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EDGES_MAMA
by on Jun. 9, 2007 at 11:54 PM
www.pediatrics.about.com/od/childhoodinfections/a/thrush.htm
A.Harris
by on Jun. 9, 2007 at 11:55 PM
IS YOUR CHILD'S TONGUE WHITE OR YELLOWSH? MOST LIKELY IT IS THRUSH. ALTHOUGH, DO NOT CONFUSE IT WITH SPIT UP. I WOULD NOT TAKE YOUR BABY TO THE ER, THEY WOULN'T ADMIT HIM FOR SOMETHING LIKE THRUSH, ALL YOU WILL END UP DOING IS GETTING A PRESCRIPTION (AN ANTIBIOTIC) FROM THEM AND A FEE OR WHATEVER YOUR CO-PAY IS. HOPE ALL GOES WELL.
-ANGELA
Mrs.Myers
by on Jun. 9, 2007 at 11:56 PM
Found this on a medical site....

FOUR WAYS TO TELL IF YOUR BABY HAS THRUSH
  • Location – thrush is usually visible on the inside of the cheeks and lips, on the gums, and on the tongue. If present, it will usually spread to 3 or 4 of these places inside the mouth. A thin coating on the tongue only may simply be milk. However, a thick white coating on the tongue is probably thrush.
  • Does not come and go – thrush will usually hang around for weeks. Milk patches inside the cheeks and lips, on the other hand, will come and go with feedings. A milk coating on the tongue, however, can be more stubborn, often staying there for weeks as well.
  • Does not easily wipe off – use your finger and try to wipe away the white patch. If it comes off easily, it's probably milk. Thrush is harder to scrape away, and can even bleed slightly when removed.
  • Associated factors – if either baby or a breastfeeding mom has recently taken antibiotics, or your baby has a stubborn, raised, red diaper rash with outlying red spots (yeast diaper rash), then any suspicious white patches in baby's mouth are much more likely to be thrush.
DOES THRUSH HARM BABY?

No, thrush is not harmful. It is more of a nuisance than a medical problem. It can, however, irritate baby's mouth during feeding, and when severe, can be painful.

I would say you could wait until the morning.  I know it's hard not to panic over everything. I used to be the same way.. .spending numerous nights in the ER til 2 or 3 in the am for something that could have waited til the morning.

mandyandthree
by on Jun. 9, 2007 at 11:59 PM
Thrush can get in the way of eating make them cranky as I'll get out but I don't remember much Else about it. If he dosen't have a high fever wait until tomorrow. Wipe out his mouth with a cold wash cloth the Dr. will give you meds. to give him tomorrow.
niece405
by on Jun. 10, 2007 at 12:00 AM
I have seen thrush a lot in children i take care of and it is not necessary to see the doctor tonight but tomorrow would be a good idea. mild thrush infections clear up on their own but with children its always good to see the doctor because they cant tell you when things get worse. symptoms of thrush are white patches in mouth that look like cottage cheese, sore mouth, poor appetite, and diaper rash due to the fungus infection.
In the meantime clean all items that contact your childs mouth in hot soapy water to kill the germs. For comfort give tylenol or motrin and depending on the age of the child using cold liquids and frozen popsicles are great.

The doctor will probably prescribe a antibiotic like nystatin.
Mythreesonsmom
by on Jun. 10, 2007 at 12:01 AM
My oldest had thrush its a white coating in the mouth it causes soreness
and they don't want to eat or drink.
The doctor gave me purple stuff to squirt in his mouth.
First I had to take a gauze wrapped around my finger and wipe out
his mouth all the white stuff. Then squirt the purple stuff around to coat it
and then he swallowed the rest. They told me it was kinda like a yeast infection it was caused from the antibiotics he was on.
Maybe you can call Dr. answering serv and get a nurse to call you to see what you can do till appnt. can be made.
My Dr office has a nurse or him or another Dr. on call to speak to for things like that. Or your insurance company may have an on call nurses line.
When we had united healthcare they had one and Amerigroup does too.
Good luck hope that everything works out for you.
Snoozie
by on Jun. 10, 2007 at 12:01 AM
try mayoclinic.com and follow the prompts, it should give you information.
tracy227
by on Jun. 10, 2007 at 12:07 AM
If your child is old enough to eat yogurt (plain) -- give him/her some of that - it usually clears up yeast infections which is basically what thrush is.  If your child is not old enough, you could just swipe some yogurt in his/her mouth.
missammier32
by on Jun. 10, 2007 at 12:10 AM
Thanks for all your responses.  He had an ear infection and was on amoxcillin for it.  By reading some of the links it seems that he most likely developed it because of being on the antibiotic.  He seems okay otherwise so we'll wait until morning unless he happens to develop a fever in the middle of the night or something. 
AnnieGLawless
by on Jun. 10, 2007 at 8:17 PM
Glad you found out what was going on.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN