Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do i talk to my son about sex?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 1:51 AM
  • 6 Replies

i have always dreaded this day!! i do not know what to say to my son about sex. he is 10 and i know he is young, but he watches the news with me and knows about things that I didnt know about when i was 10! i dont want him to learn about it from his friends only! im sure that he hears things at school and from other kids, but i want him to learn the truth from me and his stepdad. i hear about little girls{ and i mean little} getting pregnant and it scares me to death!  i know im rambling i just need some help. any moms who have been through this already, please... i need some advice!

by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 1:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
entertainment
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 1:56 AM
Well we are pretty open when talking to our son! It seems to work because when he got kissed I was the first person he told. My husband and him just went a couple of weeks ago out together and he talked with him again. Just a dad and son thing. Sometimes boys are embarrassed around their moms. We just sat him down at the table and we asked him if he had any questions and then we told him about protection and diseases etc....It went fine..wish you luck
Hastaluvme
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 6:20 AM

Quoting entertainment:

Well we are pretty open when talking to our son! It seems to work because when he got kissed I was the first person he told. My husband and him just went a couple of weeks ago out together and he talked with him again. Just a dad and son thing. Sometimes boys are embarrassed around their moms. We just sat him down at the table and we asked him if he had any questions and then we told him about protection and diseases etc....It went fine..wish you luck

Same here, we have 6 boys! We had the "talk" with the 3 that are teens now. We are very open with them and communicate with them alot. They come to us about everything that has to do with sex. Questions and what not. It pays to be open, that way your children know that they can trust you. I also agree that most sons would rather talk to dad about this stuff, just as daughters would talk to moms about it. Good luck I know it is not easy.
anetrnlov
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 6:23 AM
It isn't time for THE TALK around here yet but my parent's had the talk with me and my best friend (our parent's were also best friends) while she and I were working on a social studies fair project about teen pregnancy.  They kidn of just let the conversation flow around our project but still got their point across.  I don't ever remember feeling weirded out when they were talking to us. 

GOOD LUCK!
mikeslouie
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 6:37 AM
Our boys aren't quite old enough yet but with our girls I just told them straight up and I explained what things meant like Rape to our 12 year old cause she was always asking when she heard that or taken advantage of things like that.
Momof3810
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 6:47 AM
I have found that honesty is the best medicine. First, let Dad put his spin on things, if your husband is like mine, it will only take five minutes. When he finishes, you talk to him. Since he is 10, ask him what he thinks he knows first. Then when he tells you, you may want to tell him what is true and what is not, just to set the record straight. Now if your son is anything like mine, he may tell you he is not  ready. Don't listen to that, start easy and move up with him in levels. You may not want to reveal everything in one day. The reason why I started being so open with my child is I did not want him walking around ignorant about sex. In school, as you well know, rumors go around and kids say this and that. I wanted my son to be knowledgeable in that area just like everything else. I did not want him experimenting and didn't know what the outcome was going to be. I just think that if a lot more parents would be open with their kids, we wouldn't have so many babies having babies. Also, let him do a question and answer session with you. Don't be nervous remember this is real life. If you don't tell him the truth, someone else will but they may not know what they is talking about. Good Luck and God Bless!!
tyfry7496
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 7:57 AM
Has he had Health class at school yet? My son had it in 4th and 5th grade. He came home with a pamphlet and I told him that if he had anymore questions, that he can ask me. I feel that if they ask, then they are ready to know and I answer according to age/maturity. Good luck, my son (almost 110 laughs anytime something like this comes up. It is really hard not to laugh at some of his questions and comments.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)