Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:59 AM
  • 5 Replies

Question for anybody who can answer- I have a 20 month old who doesn't like to sleep in his own bed as much as he does mine. Any tips to try to get him to sleep in his own bed?

by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 3:09 AM
We just did it with our then 25 month old. Its hard so be prepaired. You have to have your mind made up and be ready to stand your ground. We had to just do it. He would no longer cooperate with going to bed at bed time, he wanted to play, I was exhausted, I couldnt get up and play (it was 3am), so I put him in his room, put him in his bed, with his pillow and a cup of water (we were still nursing to sleep, so this is fighting two battles at once) I layed down next to him, and showed him how to close his eyes (I put my hand gently over his eyes so they would close by reflex)  and told him I know he could go to sleep. It was a fight, 2 hours it took, for him to finally fall asleep, that was the longest night we had. Gradually I have moved him to the point where, I put him in his bed with a cup of water, tell him a short story, I give him last kisses and hugs,  tell him "Stay Put" "Close Your Eyes" and walk out of the room. it takes him about 30 minutes to put himself to bed. He still wakes up in the middle of the night between 4-6am and comes back in our room, but that is a battle I will fight once he is comfortable with putting himself to sleep, and confident that I will still be in the next room when he wakes up.. He is 26 months old now, and sleeps in his bed for naps and bedtime.  I pretty much did the seep lady method, first laying next to him, then sitting on his bed, then sitting beside his bed, then slowly moving out of his room until he was comfortable staying in his room on his own.
Good Luck!
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 3:13 AM
I have a two and a half year old and he's only been in his bed for 2 months now so you're definitely ahead of the game. My best advice to you is to be consistent. Warning:you will lose sleep! My son screamed and cried for a couple weeks but he realized that we were serious and stopped. Sometimes bedtime is hard because he wants to stay up but it's not about him sleeping in his own bed anymore. Every time he got up his father or myself would put him back in his bed no matter how late it was or how tired we were. We would talk to him and soothe him,we let him know that we cared about his plight but he was going to have to get used to it. Staying firm but caring is key. He does still sneak into our room at night and I find him on the side of the bed on the floor in the morning sleeping soundly but he does sleep in his own bed for the most part. We just had his sister a month ago so he's regressing a little bit. I think he just wants to be near her and be where everybody else is,he doesn't like feeling secluded. Anyway, there are many approaches to take,this is the one I chose. Bye now.
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 3:15 AM
My now 8 month old daugher used to sleep in our bed, of course we lived with my sister, and her crib got used as storage because she would never sleep long in it, and i breast fed at the time, so it was easiet.. We moved into our own place on april fools day, and her crib was downstairs, because no one wanted to move it upstairs, taking it apart and putting it back together, so she remained sleeping with us upstairs, but i always put her in her crib to nap, and to play so i could get things done around the house. she got familar with it and everything. Well, it finally got moved upstairs about 3 weeks ago, in her own room. she sleeps in every night. there are some nights where Hubby works late and i like to cuddle with her, so i pull her into bed with me for a while. But she's been doing just fine. and when she wakes up in the mornings she plays for about an hour with all her toys in there- i put the tv on baby first tv at night because its got soothing classical music she likes to listen to, and it helps her fall asleep downstairs, also good for naps. I take her upstairs when i've got all my cleaning done and am ready for bed, and lay her in her crib. I haven't been able to get her to fall asleep in there on her own yet... but now she has a play pen downstairs that she takes naps in.
Try starting out with putting the baby in the crib during the day, and do some light cleaning around the area, have some toys in there, and talk to the baby often, it'll help get familar with it.
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 7:24 AM
My daughter is 2 and she is having trouble sleeping in the bed so my husband and I alternate sleeping in the room with her.  She will sleep through the night for a few nights and then we have to start at square one again because she has nightmares.

My mom said to just let her cry through it but I can't stand to hear my child cry.  I don't know if you could handle it either.

Another trick that worked also was the faint sound of music in the room.  She always felt she had someone with her all through the night.
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2007 at 7:57 AM
My son is 12 months and i know what you mean , We have to break this habit right away otherwise it will only be harder as they get older. I know you don t want to hear this but dont give in when he wont sleep in his own bed , let him kick cry scream or whatever, they will tierd them self out and eventually fall asleep. thats what i have to do and so far after about of week of hell, my son is sleeping in his own bed
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)