Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poison Ivy -HELP!!!!!!!!!

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 7:14 AM
  • 17 Replies
Just wondering if anyone has any remedies for poison ivy??  I have it all over my neck and some on my face. I AM GOING CRAZY!!!!!!! It's soooo itchy!!! I looked on a website yesterday and they said to put everything from clear nail polish on it to scrubbing it till it bleeds :( I actually put the nail polish on it and it helped the itch a little but then I had to really scrub in the shower to get it off!! We are going on vacation next week and I don't want to look like some kind of monster :)If anyone has any ideas I would be REALLY REALLY grateful!!!!!!!!!
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 7:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetlilmiracle
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 7:16 AM
Have you tried calamine lotion?  That tends to help some.  Also take some Benadryl.
mdeal
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 7:16 AM
When I got poison ivy my mom gave me a vinager bath.  It helped the itch and the swelling went down faster than just calamin lotion or that itch cream they recommend.
MaddieBenMom
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 8:01 AM

I just had to take my husband to the dr. for his poison ivy (my 4yr. old calls it "Toys N Ivy") Wed.  He had huge blisters on his arm and a small patch on his face.  The dr. gave him a shot and a 12 day supply of prednisone.  By Wednesday night the itch was starting to go away.  Hope this helps!

brankrys
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 8:04 AM
i used to get that allllll the time when i was younger.  the best thing is to go to the doc and get the shot.  then the meds they will give is like you take so many the first day then one less the next and so one.  kindof a pain in the a#$ but it will clear alot faster than calamine lotion.  i just had it about a month ago on my arm and didnt do to the doc and it cleared up with calamine but took along time and i still have a scar....i would just see the doc
scleblanc
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 8:06 AM

My mother said to put a cup of bleach in your bath water to help dry up the rash.

sryle
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 8:08 AM
Try an oatmeal bath... also benadryl and calamine lotion works wonders!
tnlizard
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 9:34 AM
Benadryl makes a cream that you can apply to the bumps, and take the benadryl pills....The dr. is the fastest way, and especially if you have it on your face.!

Good luck!
EmilyNeel
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 9:41 AM
If I was going on vacation next week, I wouldn't waste my time with home remedies.  Although some may work, you may spend a lot of time finding one that really gets rid of it.  I'd go to the Dr and get a shot.  Especially with it on your face.  I got PI on face two days before prom in HS and the DR gave me a shot.  It was dried up the next day!!!  They can give you an oral med too that will clear it up fairly fast.  Good luck!
TeenSonsMom
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 9:47 AM
YEP!  Most everyone is right!  Go to doctor and get prednisone, some will give shots AND prescription... some, like mine, just give the prescription... saying it takes same amount of time with either/or!  My son gets it and cannot get rid of it!  It like gets in his blood and just pops out EVERYWHERE and gets worse and worse! 
   In the meantime, BEFORE THE DR., you can DEFINATELY TAKE SOME BENEDRYL (keeping in mind, you will be sleepy!)
   and there is BENEDRYL ITCH CREAM
   or calamine lotion (pink kind works WAY BETTER than the clear!  TRUST ME! 
   We have also given my son the OATMEAL bath that you buy for itch...

So sorry you are itchy!  I know you are miserable!!!!!!!!!!!!
~ROBYNN

Lauriesmiles
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 9:48 AM
Hi...I'm Laurie... best thing to do is not mess around at all and go to the doctor and get a shot and be done with it.  They will give you some cream too, if I remember ,to help.  I had it really bad, yrs ago, and tried all the other things, but once it gets too far gone, don't mess around.  It's miserable, I know, but the shot is well worth it and it works almost immediately in stopping the terrible itching.  Best of Luck to you!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)