Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone quit smoking?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 12:08 PM
  • 11 Replies
So I quit smoking for the baby and now I am coughing up nasty stuff and Im sick to my stomach. Everyone is telling me its because my lungs are cleaning themselves out but it just doesnt seem right to me. Has this happened to anyone?
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 12:11 PM
yes, that is normal. I quit smoking a month ago, & i'm still coughing up some nasty stuff. Not near as much as when I first quit, but just a little. & your stomach being upset, it could be b/c you're craving the nicotine. That's a withdrawal symptom. I got really bad headaches when I quit, but it effects people different ways. When did you quit? & congrats! :)
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 12:12 PM
im a nurse and ihavent really heard of that before. smoking can thicken your saliva and that can cause you to hack up some nasty stuff, but your lungs cant magically cough up stuff and reverse the damage. lol. if you start seeing chuncks of flesh or blood in your sputum then make an appointment with yuor family doctor to see what is going on. you dont need to go to the e.r. because its probally not a huge deal and...e.r. bills are huge! lol
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 12:15 PM
I quit smoking 7 years ago and I don't remember coughing anything up.  If it were me, I would talk to my doc about it.  It could be normal, but it could also be something else.

Oh, and congrats of quitting!!!!
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 12:51 PM

I work for a group of Pulmonologists (lung docs) and yes, in fact, your lungs are probably "cleaning" themselves.   One doc said the cilia's or fibers on the lining of your lungs will start to rejuvinate themselves, and until they are working in proper order again you will be more prone to infections (such as pluersy) and have more mucus, which will cause you to cough up "gunk"!  He said this usually starts happening in the 12th week of quitting, and will last until the cilia's are completely rejuvinated! 

This is something I will get to look forward to, as I am just quitting, myself!

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask & I will take it to the docs!

by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 12:57 PM
It's quite normal and it is just your lungs moving all that mucous and gung out. 
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 12:59 PM
I went the hard way, i did cold turkey.  Was hard and still have cravings to smoke, but i cant stand beign around poepl who are smoking. It makes me so sick to my stomach. Been 2 years clean and i do stil cough up thick  junk.
I wouldnt start up again, i have my baby to take care of and im pregnant again.

Keep up the hard work, i know how hard it is to quit. We all do that have.
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 12:59 PM

Yes, sorry but it is completely normal, I coughed and gagged for about a month, I just quit in Feb. of this year. I wish you luck, you can do it, it does get easier after the coughing stops

by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 1:04 PM
I quit smoking after 27 years of smoking and Yes my lungs were expelling all the toxins i had smoked into them.

Drink a lot of water. Soon it will all be better. 

Don't go back to smoking even when you have your baby. Pray on it that God will keep the cigs away from you. 

for many reasons but heres a couple.

1 .. when you smoke, You STINK!

2. When you smoke, you smoke junk into your mouth, throat , lungs and they turn charchol black!

3.  I(f you stop  You will save money and can shop more

4. You will save your LIFE! live healthier and perhaps longer... if God wills.

I pray that God makes it easy on you and your body
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 1:28 PM
It's normal; I quit smoking the moment I found out was pregnant; about 5 months ago, in the beginning it was horrible, I had a lot phlegm, especially everytime I ate or drank something, but as time went by it started getting better.

I'm sure the same thing will happen to you.

by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 1:30 PM
Did you have a fever/a cold? That causes things to come out. You might have chronic bronchitis from smoking and you are finally starting to heal. If there is no blood or pieces of tissue I wouldn't worry about it. If you want it to go faster take an expectorant.
Good job on quitting, it is a disgusting and smelly habit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)