Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

weight gain question...

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:18 PM
  • 8 Replies
just wondering if anyone out there had any knowledge of approximately how much weight one is supposed to gain by 24 weeks?  i have gained 7lbs. and was just wondering what baby books or doctors say is the norm?  I know at 20 weeks i read that the average was approx. 10lbs.  I can't remember where I read that though and was looking for some info on 24 weeks.  thanks!
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:20 PM
Oh, it is differnt for each person and pregnancy...I know I was at 12 pounds until the last 2 months...then I balloned up to almost 40 pounds! As long as you are eating healthy and giving the baby all he/she needs I would think you are fine!
pregnantterry
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 5:01 PM
They say that you are supposed to gain 25-30 lbs overall.

Less in the first and third and more in the second trimester.

About a half a pound a week in the first and third and a pound a week in the second.

Everyone is different, so these are only approximations. As long as you are eating well and gaining some weight you should be ok.

I am 18 weeks and have gained 10 pounds.....  I am a dance teacher so my cutting back on exercise during morning sickness really started me off rocky- I went from 100 situps a day to none and gained 5 pounds right away.
scleblanc
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 5:04 PM
I'm diabetic and only gained 18 lbs during my whole pregnancy, I think everyone is different my sister gained 85 lbs with her first (mostly due to toxemia (sp))
JaYBirDi3
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 5:05 PM
dont worry about gaining weight yet....talk to your dr and see how much you should be weighing. Everyone is different with their pregnancy. I know i was 103 pre pregnancy weight and i gained 40 lbs! but thanks good i lost it all!
Sportzmom05
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 5:06 PM
When I first found out I was pregnant I was 155 lbs. Now at 23 weeks I'm 172. Not happy at all with the weight gain but I feel like I'm retaining ALOT of water. I eat healthy and still the same amount of meals each day so I think it just depends on the person.
beardfamilyof5
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 5:13 PM

If I could give you any advise, it would be to enjoy being pregnant and don't worry about the weight unless your Dr. says to.   I was 123 and an avid weight-lifter, etc.. when I got pregnant with my first.  I gained 60 lbs!   I loved every second of it... I gained 50 lbs with my 2nd and 45 with my 3rd. ( I assumed each was less because I was chasing after 1 or 2 babies with the 2nd and 3rd.. lol
If you have self discipline and do what you need to do to be healthy and exercise afterwards... I wouldn't worry about it during.  What other opportunity in life is there to jsut soak it up ( of course not to the extent of un-healthy...but you probably get my point )

Enjoy!
~Shannon
proud mommy to Kyla-3, Kade-2, & Jack-1

amanda1975
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 5:19 PM
my third one I gained about 70 lbs I was a lot more active walked everyday, my first was 80lbs and my second was 50. But what I did notice with the last one is that the weight dropped off a lot faster, I think it was because I was more active while I was pregnant. Everyone is so different don't be to concerned about it. I have friends at 9 months that you would've never even known that they were pregnant.
momsamillion
by on Jun. 15, 2007 at 11:20 AM
thanks, i was wondering if maybe b/c i have a little one to chase around if thats maybe why i havent' gained as much. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)