Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for all you mommies of toddlers!

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:22 PM
  • 13 Replies

My son is almost 20 months old and he can say mommy and daddy and everyone's names, but he refuses to say his own. Has anyone else ran across this? I'm not too worried about it (cause I know he can talk, boy can he talk lol) just curious if this is normal. Thanks!

by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kari3110
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:24 PM
My daughter turned 2 in May and just recently started saying her own name. For a while I thought she thought her name was "MINE"
jennypooh5
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:26 PM
No worries...My son is 30 months and still struggles with his name!  He can repeat what we say word for word, but has the worst time with "Patrick"!
jah91172
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:27 PM
My 2 year old doesn't say his name... it'll come soon... promise!
bshredy3
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:30 PM
My daughter just turned 4, and it's only been within the last 6 months that she can say her name clear enough for people to understand. My son is also 20 months, and he doesn't say his own name yet.
HHHsmom
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:33 PM
I wouldn't worry to much my son is 22 months and he is just started saying his name but my 2 year old did not start talking good till he was 30 months they all do things in their own time.Pamel
lifeofchaois
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:36 PM
My son didn't start saying his own name until right after his 2nd birthday.  Up until then when you asked what his name was he replied "me"  His name is Brandon, so I think it was a hard name to learn.

My oldest did the same thing!
mommy2389
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:43 PM
My son is 3 and he says his name first middle and last although he doesn't pronounce his middle name right...Now that I think about it I am not even sure how old he was when he started saying his name....Now I feel bad..
mdeal
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:45 PM
My daughter is 2 and still doesn't say her name let alone any one she knows. 
My doctor said it is normal.
emhain
My daughter is 18 mos and she calls herself Bop Bop. Her name is Taryn. I'm not sure why she chose this particular name. When we ask "where's Taryn?" she'll point to herself, but always calls herself Bop Bop.
mom_of_2monkeys
my son was like that too. so i started this game (we still play it) i tell him " i'm luke and your mom" and he gets all silly and says no i'm luke. we go back and forth for a little while. he gets a kick out of it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)