Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Throwing Up Kids

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 3:24 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have a 6 year old daughter. When she throws a fit and starts with her whinning, crying and screaming....she'll push herself to the point where she makes herself throw up. I'm really starting to get fed up with this. She's not a baby anymore and I don't understand why she does this. I've tried making her clean up the mess because she does it purposefully. But she still does it.

Does anyone else's child do this to? And if so, how can I put a stop to it?

by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 3:33 PM
My 2 year old can get himself upset like that. He's only ever thrown up once and it ended up he was sick. When I see him getting upset, like he could throw up, though I take him to another room and calm him down. That's a tough one! I would just send her to her room and get her to calm down. Wish I could help you more!
Good Luck!
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 7:28 PM
That is a tuff one!  I would suggest not giving her attention when she throws the fit, and if she works herself up that much, even without attention, then clean it up like it isn't a big deal.  She proboly sees that the throwing up gets to you, and gets you upset and frustrated, and gets her attention.  It is the way that she can control you, so if you just clean it up without even saying a word, like it isn't a big deal maybe it would help.  I am not sure, but it might be worth a try!  Good luck!

Pregnancy Group Owner

Children's Health Issues Group Owner

Christian Finances Group Owner

by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 7:35 PM
My 5 year old daughter whines and cry's when she does not get her way or hear what she wants to hear.  I know the feeling of being fed up.  What worked for me is giving her a time out in a corner for 20 mins.  She does not like that at all.  So, when she gets ready to start, I mention time out and she stops.  Giving her spankings did not work so I tried the time out and it has improved because I had never made her do this before.
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 7:42 PM

I agree about not reacting to the fit or about having to clean up the mess. Any attention is they can get is what they want. I work in a nursery & have had to deal with this on several occasions. Also screaming until they faint. We had a couple of kids who liked to pull that one. Once you see you daughter getting that worked up, very, very calmly, you should put her somewhere that is easy to clean up for you. This will also help you with your frustration on having to clean up vomit again. 

by on Jun. 15, 2007 at 9:02 AM
Well the thing is that we don't give her any attention when she throws up. But I believe that when she goes to Indiana with her Grammie she does it there and her grandmother babies the heck out of her. We've tried to explain to her that because there are 2 different homes, there are also 2 different set of rules. And we don't accept the whinning, the baby talk and the throwing up here. Even if Grammie allows it there. But thank you all for your help!
by on Jun. 15, 2007 at 9:08 AM
I dont personally have a child who does that  but my friend does and her lil girl is like 10 yrs old and for the longest time we would get so mad at the lil girl for doing it but when we took her to the doctor he told us that it was caused by acid reflux. And when a child gets that upset it causes the acid in there stomach to produce more and i'm sure that is what makes her sick. She also had worked herself up to having an ulcer at 10 yrs old.  the doc told us that some children have week tummys and when there that upset u should console them its not there fault that there  sick. So u should take her to the doc and find out if its got ne thing to do with really truly being sick.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)