Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 8:40 PM
  • 6 Replies
When my daughter was born I thought it would be a excellent choice to breastfeed because of all the she is a month old and it seems like she just never gets full when I feed her.  It almost seems like she drains both of my breasts then she squirms and gets upset and wont stay latched on.  I just feel like one big pair of boobs that she is constantly attached to.  So daddy and I started incorporating formula into her diet and it seems like she gets full and satisfied when we give it to her....I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or if its normal?!?!?

Thanks,     Angie
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 10:26 PM
 I had a similar problem. First has this always been aproblem or just recently? She could be going thru a growth spurt and will adjust soon..the more she eats the more you will produce. if it has always been this way you may not produce enough, I had this issue. I nursed and supplemented with formula for 2 feedings a day. this worked for 81/2 months when I was forced to stop nursing do to medication .if you need more help or advice message me.
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 10:31 PM
I had this problem too. But I didnt supliment formula at all. I stuck it out. But the only reason I did that was because my son wont take a boddle he gags and spits it out and cries, no matter how much i try. anyways he would eat all the time and then get fussy and not latch on or he will latch on but wont stay on. turned his head and grunted... if thats what ur baby does. then it happened to me too. after about a month he stopped it. he still gets that way now and again, but not too much. of course my little guy is on baby food too now.
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 10:34 PM
you might try taking something to boost your supply.  I had to do this with my baby too.  He'd drain me dry and still need a bottle!!  I started drinking Mother's Milk tea and you wouldn't believe the improvment!!  He hasn't had a bottle in weeks.  If you don't want to drink the tea(which, by the way, I don't drink near as much as it says and I still had improvment), they make feenugreek(sp) pills you take instead.  Or if its REALLY bad your dr. could prescribe something.  Just a few ideas!!  Good luck!!  Breastfeeding is a wonderful gift we give our children.  But don't kill yourself trying to make it work.  I had to go to formula with my first two for different reasons.  I have NO guilt over this.  I did the best I could.  Now with my son I'm hoping to go to at least 1 year, maybe longer!!!! 

by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 11:01 PM
angie- everything readjusts for the baby- inside you- so when she eats everything there is something in there that tells them to make more-.  Getting the baby used to formula also is good incase you need to leave her/him with someone- but there is nothing better for them then the real thing.  Hang in there - although I have to tell you that once they are used to "you" you will have a hard time explaining that you are ready to stop do both if you can but relax and rest assured knowing that there is so much nutrition in even the last part that it will be enough.  Good luck!!
by on Jun. 15, 2007 at 12:12 AM
If your baby's weight is good then she was getting enough. I have nursed all 4 of my children and they all took a few months to get "adjusted", they all seemed to nurse 24/7 at first. Nursing isn't just a source of food but attention and a way of soothing themselves. Maybe you could pump and let your husband feed her instead of supplementing? Otherwise whatever works is my motto!
by Head Admin on Jun. 15, 2007 at 1:27 AM

Hi there,

It's nice to meet you!   It seems like your baby may be telling you what is best for her.   That may be best for you, too.

Please feel free to say hello to the other Moms here and send out some friend invitations, too!

For tips on getting stated and making friends, check out the Getting Started and Making Friends at CafeMom post.

There are a lot of great groups here!  The Recommended Groups post lists some of CafeMom's most popular groups.  You can click on 'Find Groups' to search for groups by topic - if you scroll down you can search by location, too!

Visit the Newcomers Group Chatterbox anytime to see if any Moms are chatting. 

Have fun on the site!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)