Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How long do you have to stay up after a concussion?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2008 at 12:46 PM
  • 13 Replies

My oldest tripped and hit his head on the corner of my bedroom door frame. He has been plying and acting normal, but he is a little cranky now. He did it about an hour and a half ago, and I gave him some tylenol but not a full dose. Here are a few pics, but I was wondering how long I have to keep him up for just in case. We are in the middle of sending his insurance application in, so he isnt covered just yet, thats why I dont really want to run to the hospital.

by on Apr. 26, 2008 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boosmom440
by on Apr. 26, 2008 at 12:47 PM
i was told by a nurse to stay up for 4-8 hours this nurse is actually my daughters grandma so i know she wouldn't lie to me about it

orcadarwin
by on Apr. 26, 2008 at 12:50 PM
When my son hit his head, the doctor told me that as long as he didn't want to go to sleep right away after hitting his head, then he should be fine.  But when he did go to sleep, to make sure that he could be roused (not awakened) after about 30 minutes of sleep. 
Ms.Cristi
by on Apr. 26, 2008 at 12:53 PM
That is actually an ole' wives tale.  A child can go to sleep but someone just needs to watch respirations (breathing).  If you see signs of apnea (breaks in breathing) or syanosis (blue ting around the mouth ~ lack of oxygen) then jostle the child to wake. 
lynettemomof4
Just make sure you can wake him up and he's coherent and able to be waken.
tyfry7496
When my son hit his head and had a concussion the ER doc said to keep him up for atleast 1 hr after leaving the ER and then wake him every hour through the night. He needed to answer a simple question each time. By the 3rd time, my son looked at me and said, "My name is Tyler, the president is Bush, the sky is blue...now quit waking me up!!"
AliciasMommy
by on Apr. 26, 2008 at 12:54 PM
my dh was told 24 hours but that might jus be for an adult
Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
mama_ash
by on Apr. 26, 2008 at 12:54 PM
He could take his nap now then? I have been really worried about him going to sleep because he is very tired right now.
Quoting Ms.Cristi:

That is actually an ole' wives tale.  A child can go to sleep but someone just needs to watch respirations (breathing).  If you see signs of apnea (breaks in breathing) or syanosis (blue ting around the mouth ~ lack of oxygen) then jostle the child to wake. 

BlueFrogMama
by on Apr. 26, 2008 at 12:56 PM
My son hit his head hard a couple of months ago. It was right before his bedtime. The on call nurse told me to go ahead and put him to bed, but to wake him up after the first hour, and then every 2 hours after that. She said I didn't have to wake him up all the way, just enough to make sure he was rousable.
Ms.Cristi
by on Apr. 26, 2008 at 12:57 PM
The reason most kids want to go to sleep is because they have cried themselves to sleepy.  It really doesn't look that bad.  He has a small hemotoma (bruise).  I would let him go to sleep.  Just watch him.
Quoting mama_ash:

He could take his nap now then? I have been really worried about him going to sleep because he is very tired right now.
Quoting Ms.Cristi:

mama_ash
by on Apr. 26, 2008 at 1:04 PM
That is so good to hear. He is awful when hes really tired, and I would hate to keep him awake when hes this tired. Thank you.
Quoting Ms.Cristi:

The reason most kids want to go to sleep is because they have cried themselves to sleepy.  It really doesn't look that bad.  He has a small hemotoma (bruise).  I would let him go to sleep.  Just watch him.
Quoting mama_ash:

Quoting Ms.Cristi:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)