Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

who gets the bail money?(child support question)

Posted by on May. 8, 2008 at 10:10 AM
  • 17 Replies
ok, my daughters father went to jail the end of last year for owning a whole lot in child support arrears, which he was not paying.  his father posted bail and got him out.  6 months later, we have a court hearing on may 23rd to see where that bail money is going to go.  i was supposed to get it but now my daughters grandfather wants the money back.  so, who will get it.  deadbeat dad was paying child support for the last few months but i have not recieved payment in over 2 weeks now.
by on May. 8, 2008 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hannahsmommy309
by on May. 8, 2008 at 10:11 AM
i would say that his father should get his money back...his father isnt responsible to pay you the child support that you deserve...
sorry...

lapayasa
by on May. 8, 2008 at 10:15 AM
When you went to court what did the judge say??
mothersday.gif picture by lapayasa1369_photo
Hanaas_mommy
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2008 at 10:17 AM
since it was bail money I do believe you should receive it. I know when my ex went to jail I got his bail money. Sure wish I could get more though
countrygal26
by on May. 8, 2008 at 10:19 AM
honey im kinda in the same spot,mine sons father has not sent c.s. pymts in 2months,the pymt is only $50. aweek,has a bench warrent in our town and also a warrent in his town.they sent a investagator out to find him.the sheriffs office wouldn't even tell the c.s attorney what the other warrent was for,he is now on the run.he is on parole,registered sex offender for 10yrs.never has seen his son in 8yrs.and says he doesnt want to see him.so i tried to get him to sign over his rights he won't.if i take him to court for involuntary signing of rights it will cost me $600. just to get the paper work started,but he wont show for court dates.he is now fixing to serve the 3yrs that he had on the shelf,plus the bench warrent,non c.s. pymts and whatever the other warrent is for.so when he goes back to prison,i will still not be getting cs pymts.the govern wont help me get k-tap because my son recieves ssi.so i'll be screwed anyways.but for u i would say work out an agreement u get the money then send whatever the bond was for to who ever paid it.or other way around.
bailey_rc
by on May. 8, 2008 at 10:19 AM
I put up 4,000 for a friends DH and they kept the money and gave to to the ex-wife

Girls Behind The Cammo-for wives, girlfriends, and fiances of men in any branch  or are both military http://www.cafemom.com/group/girlsbehindthecammo

Got Hooah?- A group for Army families http://www.cafemom.com/group/GotHooah

NikkiLenz
by on May. 8, 2008 at 10:30 AM
I have never heard of bail being posted for child support. Usually the money that is posted is a purge amount (a percentage of the arrears he owes) and is due to the mother. My husband had a similar issue (before we got married and before he grew up and got a payroll job so it wouldn't happen) where his sister paid the purge (bail) ammount to get him out and my DH had to pay her back after because the money went to the mom. It is not typical that it is given back if they show up in court like in some other instances. I doubt the father will get the money back from the court he will have to get it back from the son!! But you should give your caseworker a call at your county's child support office and he/she can explain what will happen. Depending on how the child's father is being paid, if they take it out of his check you may only get a check every two weeks or even once a month. Did he file a tax return? You should get his stimulus payment too if he filed and made over 3000 last year. HOpe that elps message me if you have questions, I help with what I know from my experiances with child support and my husband's.
I have to access CafeMom through my cell phone, this means I can not use the spell check, or any other extras when posting! Please forgive my spelling the buttons are tiny and sometimes I mess up! Thanks!
shecallsmemom04
by on May. 8, 2008 at 11:24 AM
he said that it would come to me.
Quoting lapayasa:

shecallsmemom04
by on May. 8, 2008 at 11:25 AM
thats fine.  and if that were the case they'd be no need for a hearing about it.  it's apparently not that open and shut.
Quoting hannahsmommy309:

i would say that his father should get his money back...his father isnt responsible to pay you the child support that you deserve...
sorry...
lapayasa
by on May. 8, 2008 at 12:06 PM
If it was stated in court that u would get the bail money then u should get it!!
Quoting shecallsmemom04:

he said that it would come to me.
Quoting lapayasa:

Dnjbowen
by on May. 8, 2008 at 12:18 PM
I am not sure if in every state the laws are different or not... But here in NY if you go to jail for Non- Payment of Child Support the Bail that is set is not really bail its the amount of Child Support that is owed, the person who pays this does not get any of the money back... All the money that is paid to get the person out of jail, goes straight to the person that the child support is owed to, or to the Support Collection unit, who then forwards it to the person who is owed the child support.. No bail is ever given back here when it comes to child support issues.... Also here is NY if you are on Public Assistance and they have been giving you money then they will take there money first then if anything is left over they will forward it to you... So if your laws and courts work the same way as they do here then any money that was paid for bail will be comming to you...

Take Care

Jenn, Group Owner -  NY Moms of Children with Special Needs         www.cafemom.com/group/27011   

Group Co-Owner - Children With Special Needs Around The World www.cafemom.com/group/specialneedsaroundtheworld

Group Co-Owner -Understanding & Living with Cerebral Palsy Day to Day
http://www.cafemom.com/group/27177

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN