Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CafeMom Theme - How do you deal with picky eaters in your household?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:09 AM
  • 32 Replies

How do you deal with picky eaters in your household?

Read what other moms are writing

Write your own post

View prior themes

Feel free to post your response here, in the journals, or both!Smile

by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyof4mom2all
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:13 AM
I ASK THEM TO TRY ONE BITE IF THEY DON'T LIKE IT THEN THEY DON'T LIKE IT. WHEN WE'RE BABIES WE KNOW IF WE TASTE SOMETHING WE DON'T LIKE WE SPIT IT OUT, SO WHY THINK AS THEY AGE THEY DON'T KNOW?
horrorfan72
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:17 AM
I usually make them at least try things first before not eating it at all. My daughter will try anything but my autistic son won't try ANYTHING new and I don't try to make him. Its funny that my oldest used to actually take the peas in his baby food, twirl them with his tongue and spit them out! He doesn't eat them to this day.
~Krista
Dythanem
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:51 AM
Dipping!  My 2 boys love to dip.  Their favs are ketchup, yogurt, and applesauce.  Let me tell you, I almost lost it when I saw one dipping green beans in yogurt (ugh!) but hey, he ate it.  I also have started setting limits on meal time (using the buzzer on the stove) to keep from having marathon buffet sessions of eat, play, eat, stall, eat, etc.

thanks for the great theme!
Shylie
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 1:29 AM
I put whatever it is on their plate and if they don't like the look of it I tell them to stare at it a while til it looks more interesting. They have to at least try everything.
mamacalifornia
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 1:32 AM
Neither one of my children are picky eaters, the only thing my children will not eat is onions.  Thankfully because we love all kinds of food.

Amber
jojo959
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 1:35 AM
 I really don't have picky eaters  but my grandson and  he either wants hot-dogs or grilled cheese
smittymoma
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 1:37 AM
My daughter isn't a picky eater at all. right when she was able to eat baby food (well i made her baby food...) I gave her EVERYTHING. She eats a wide variety of foods b/c that's how we are. She doesn't even ask for junky food very often either.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Elinor Roosivelt
smittymoma
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 1:38 AM

Quoting Dythanem:

Dipping!  My 2 boys love to dip.  Their favs are ketchup, yogurt, and applesauce.  Let me tell you, I almost lost it when I saw one dipping green beans in yogurt (ugh!) but hey, he ate it.  I also have started setting limits on meal time (using the buzzer on the stove) to keep from having marathon buffet sessions of eat, play, eat, stall, eat, etc.

thanks for the great theme!
MY daughter is exactly like this too! She LOVES to dip almost everything!

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Elinor Roosivelt
amerigirl156
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 8:53 AM
My daughter is not a picky eater but, my son doen't really like vegetables. Before he started feeding himself I would do what my bf calls the bait and switch. I would give him something really good that he would eat with no problem, like the meat or potato's. Then the next one would be vegetables. He always made an awful face but, he would eat it because he realized the next spoonful would be something he would like. Now that he feeds himself he does the same thing......LOL

Good Morning All
Squeaky79
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 8:58 AM
If they don't like what I've made for dinner, they make themselves something, usually a corndog.  Not the best way to go but at least they eat.  I see a lot of great ideas in this thread already though!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)