Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PANIC ATTACKS?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:30 AM
  • 8 Replies

HEY YALL, WELL MY FRIEND ALL OF A SUDDEN BEEN HAVING PANIC ATTACKS LATELY... HER DOC. PUT HER ON MEDS BUT SHE ONLY TAKES IT WHEN SHE FEEL LIKE SHES GONNA GET ONE OR SORTA IN THE MIDDLE OF IT.. SHE'S WORRIED THAT IT CAN PUT A DAMPER ON HER LIFE B/C THEY'VE BEEN HAPPENING MORE FREQUENT LATELY...

MY QUESTION IS DOES ANYONE SUFFER FROM THIS, AND CAN IT REALLY AFFECT UR DAILY LIFE?.
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MommyRobbi
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:40 AM
Yes, I have suffered from panic attacks for manyyears now.  And it can ABSOLUTELY affect your daily life.  I found that i was missing work, staying in the house, and avoiding certain places because I was so afraid of having a panic attack.  I'm not sure what meds your friend is on, it's sounds like maybe xanax or valium, something you take once the attack happens; maybe she could benefit from something that you take everyday that actually helps prevent them from ever happening (like zoloft, lexapro, etc.).  I have been on zoloft for about 3 years now, and it has been an absolute lifesaver for me. 
thebratpack
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:57 AM
I have also suffered with anxiety and depression but nothing seemed to help i recently got put on effexor and love it my anxiety attacks are minimal and i can actually go in public without freaking out i hope your friend can get to a psychiatrist they seem to know more then just the doctors about these disorders she can live again without worry
Robin
by Head Admin on Jun. 20, 2007 at 8:58 AM

Hi,

Nice to meet you! 

The Recommended Groups post lists some of CafeMom's most popular groups. You may want to visit these Cafemom groups...

mothers with depression
Mental Well-being Moms
Moms who suffer from anxiety

To find other groups, click 'find groups' and search for topics...if you scroll down you can search by location, too!

Feel free to say hi and send some friend invitations to the other Moms here.  You may want to check out the post Getting Started and Making Friends at CafeMom.

Glad you're here!Smile
Robin

gab15th
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:04 AM
I used to get panic attacks daily!  They would make me physiccally sick.  I'm currently on a form of zanax (sorry can't spell!)  but I only take when needed, they can be really addictive.  I know it sounds like bull, but I found the best way to handle them is to get a grip on what is triggering them (at least for me)  and now when I feel like I'm going to have a minor one, I sit down for a minute and do like a pep talk, and just calm down.  I had to do something other than drugs because them pills are a no no when your pregnant.
whiskey
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:41 AM
yes,they can and usually do affect every single aspect of your life.but treating the panic attacks have little or no effects unless the underlying condition causing them is also treated.and as mentioned in another post a phychiatrist(sp?)is better equipped and more experienced than a regular medical doctor to treat them.

proud mommy
mandyk74
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:48 AM
I have had a few panic attacks in the past....usually occuring on the subway and once at a concert.  I also had terrible anxiety.  There is such a stigma surrounding the category of medications used to treat anxiety, etc.  I finally talked to my doctor and she put me on a medication that has been a saving grace for me.  I take the medication every morning faithfully.....I have not had a panic attack or felt overly anxious in a few years.  Depending on what kind of medication your friend takes.....she needs to take it daily in order for it to work...she should talk to her doctor and make sure she follows the presciption to the "T".....not skipping doses and not taking just when she feels a panic attack coming on.  

Panic attacks are soo scary....I feel for her.  I wish her luck! 
mrshoag
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:53 AM
I have been on fluxotine for two years now for my panic attacks, I did'nt think it was working for a while then I was told by someone else that medication alone is'nt gonna help you need to talk with someone. So I started seeing a counsler once a week, now My attacks are few and far between. Please talk with someone it helps!!!
talia226
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 11:54 AM

THANK U GUYS, U HAVE BEEN REALLY HELPFUL.. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)