Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Car Seat Question---PLEASE Respond!!!!!

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:38 AM
  • 10 Replies
Ok, So I have a 6 1/2 year old and I have him still in a Carseat. I would hate for anything to happen to him, which is why he is still in one. However all of his friends and my friends with kids his age have thier kids in a booster or nothing at all. AHHHH I dont know what to do!!!! I let him ride a dirtbike but cant get over the car seat thing. Please help.
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wanda1288
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:40 AM

If your 6 1/2 yr old is over 40-50lbs he can be in a booster. The age is 8 before they don't have to have one. Hope this helps

boldmama.com
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:43 AM
Here is a link to your local Nebraska state Department of Motor Vehicles.  They have resources for your local state laws on child car seats and boosters, and links to guidelines for use in deciding whether to use a car seat, booster, or just the seat belt -- check it out:

http://www.dmv.state.ne.us/highwaysafety/cps.html#Choosing_and_Using_Safety_Seats
mom-of4-gr8-kid
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:43 AM
My son is 5 and I have him in a booster, I feel very safe with him in it, I feel no different as if he were in a carseat, when you hit the breaks it stops the seatbelt from moving so its still like he has a restraint and the seatbelt hits him where it is supposed to in a booster.
momma_2_3
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:45 AM
I live in Wisconsin and it is law that children under 8, 4ft 9in or 80lbs have to be in a car seat or booster seat.  I have 3 boys 7, 4 and 2 and 7 and 4 yr old are both in booster seats.. I am not sure how big or small your son is but if he is an average sized kid then he is probably big enough to be in a booster seat... or if he had one of the car seats that you can take the straps out of and use as a booster you could use that.... that is what my 4 yr old has.... You need to do what you feel comfortable with....
charlann
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:45 AM

the seat belt law in Kansas, where we and one of our daughters lives, says you can be fined if they catch your child not in a car seat, booster seat, or seatbelt.  my 7 yr old grandaughter uses a seatbelt with a special adapter on it to keep it from cutting into her...

freckles3030
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 1:09 AM
i have a five yr old and he is in a booster there really is no differance that i can tell ,they do their job .and if u feel that it s ok for ur kid to ride a dirt bike trust me he is safer in a booster but they have car seats that hold them till they weigh a hundred pds .if u dont feel safe use one of them it really is a chioce u have to make.do what u feel is right for ur self and your son
KWS
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 6:08 AM
Hey, does anyone remember their parents not using a car seat for them?  I think I was the first one out of my sisters to have one and it was for convenience not for safety.  I also use to beg my parents to ride with the top down.  Of course, times were much simplier, there was less traffic and children could walk to school on their own. 

I was just thinking how nice it would be not to worry but I think "we" would anyway. 
mikeslouie
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 6:33 AM
In Mississippi they have to 4ft 6in before they are allowed no booster. But yes he is big enough for a booster.
mommystrio
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 6:41 AM
My daughter is 7 1/2 and I keep her in a carseat just because she is only 45 pounds.  I know that she is safe. You also have to becareful what kind of booster that you get because when I went to carseat safety they took my booster because they found that it was unsafe. Also make sure you are using it right because I diden't even know that my carseat in the car was not being put in right. I also learned that if your sticker is off the carseat (the safty info) or if you drop it it is no longer what the consider safe. Now I work at the jail and there trying to get me in on helping others with carseat safety..
bjwiraden
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 6:44 AM
In ohio, the have to be 4'9" and 80lbs. I think that's a good age, and height. Post what you decide.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)