Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dont Really Know Where to Post This?!?!?!

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:54 AM
  • 5 Replies
OK, So I just found out that a "friend" of mines kids became wards of the state today. It is all from abuse from her and her husband, and it makes me SICK!!!!! However her kids still get to live with her??? WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT PICTURE! If anyone knows anything about this---let me know. Thanks!!!
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:58 AM
There is no way to explain it but its not unusual.  My ex has 2 little boys with a CRAZY person who had the state step in and take away her custodial rights to both boys and give him custody because of abuse, and then 6 months later when she was arrested AGAIN and ordered to a half way house for the second time they took the kids away from him to live with her while she went through rehab in a group home!  It's never easy to understand what mother's are allowed to get away with when it comes to their children.
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 1:32 PM
well it depends on where your at, I'm in California, and right now we have so many kids in the system, that when cps is called in, they will look at the situation, and decide that the family needs help, and that instead of removing the children to a foster home, they will do family maintance with them.

They still have to do all the things that a family who has the kids in a foster home has to do, like parenting classes, and more, but they get to keep the kids in the home while working the case plan.

Alot of PPl don't agree with this, but the truth is, if the child's life is not in imedate danger, then alot of times this is for the best, it is very hard on kids to be pulled and moved from home to home, and to not only be seperated from there parents but in MANY case's from there sibling's......the sw will keep a close eye on the family, dropping by, making sure the kids are okey, and the parents are complying....if the parents step out of line the kids are then removed to a foster home.

It is hard to understand somtime's, but I think that the system is trying to make it eaiser on the kids, and help repare familys that they think can be repaired.  Family mantaince is usually offered to family's that can make it without haveing to be pulled apart.

Hope this help's
by Head Admin on Jun. 20, 2007 at 3:25 PM
There are some resources listed in the  Member Resources (below). 

Maybe one of these organizations can help.

Resources for CafeMom Members

We’ve compiled a list of organizations that provide services and information on important issues.

Child Abuse

• Childhelp
    A national non-profit organization dedicated to helping victims of child abuse and neglect.
  • National Children's Alliance
    The mission is to promote and support communities in providing a coordinated investigation and comprehensive response to victims of severe child abuse.
  • Child Welfare Information Gateway
    Provides access to information and resources to help protect children and strengthen families.
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 10:30 PM
oh my gosh!! i can't believe that stuff like that goes on. i live in Oklahoma and there is a child case hear that makes headlines on a regular basis. it is the Kelsey Smith Briggs case. she was a two year old who died because of abuse that her moms boyfriend did. the sick thing about it is that DHS knew and had it on file! she was also a ward of the state but allowed to stay in her mothers home given that a dhs worker come a visit like once a month and a family friend had to move in to "keep an eye out". the family has a web site that you can visit with all of the legal documents posted  this happened two years ago and stuff like this is my soapbox i can't stand anyone who abuses children and women and more people should speak up about it!
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2007 at 11:41 PM
Thank you for sharing that story---it brought tears to my eyes. These people that I am talking about have a total of 5 kids. He has 1, she has 2 and they have 2 together. The father just recentally went to court for giving one of her kids a black eye( the kid is 9 yrs old) but they have been in trouble with cps for about 4 years now. It does sicken me to find  out that these kids can remain in the home and continue to be harmed when the state is "supposed to be protecting them". I have to see her this weekend and i have been sick thinking about it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)