Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Considering An Elective C-Section

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 3:26 AM
  • 24 Replies
I am seriously considering an elective c-section, because I have a LOT of worries (and a really bad feeling in my gut) that something will go wrong if I don't. I worry about the baby not getting enough air and getting brain damage. I'm worried that my bone structure isn't big enough to deliever the baby, that my pelvis won't separate, or that the baby will be in a weird position, or with the cord around its neck.

I know there are possible complications for me if I have a c-section, but I will go through anything if it means my baby is safe and healthy. I don't want anything to go wrong. More importantly, I don't want an emergency c-section. If I'm getting a c-section, I want it planned. I don't want to have the baby halfway out, and then have to have a c-section. I don't want to be in labor for a day if I don't have to be.

This isn't about convenience or comfort. It's about the baby having it as safe and easy as possible. As far as scarring and pain goes, I'm not concerned; I heal very fast, and don't scar easily either. I really think it would be the best thing for the baby and I if I had an elective c-section.

The hospital I'm scheduled to deliver at is Catholic owned and operated. They do not perform elective c-sections. I've spoken with a couple of the delivery nurses there, and they advise against it, but I'm wondering if it has to do with religious agenda or something. Luckily I'm not giving birth there, because I'm moving to a different city in two months...I at least want a hospital where I will have the option available to me. I need a non-biased opinion.

Has anyone here done an elective c-section? What were your experiences?
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 3:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PepperKittyn
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 3:34 AM
Hun, you're not going to find too many doctors (ethical ones, anyways) who will want to do this procedure.  Technically, it's astronomically better for BOTH you and the baby if you try to have it naturally.

I know that you're scared of complications.  I think that we all are afraid of those.  I don't think that we would be normal if it DIDN'T concern us.

My first delivery (eight years ago) was terrible.  I was in labor for 37 hours, and then I pushed for four before they brought out the forceps.  They ripped half of my bag when they pulled out my son, and I had to have a blood transfusion.  My son spent a week in the NICU.

So, you can't blame me for asking for an elective c-section when I found out that I was pregnant with my daughter in September of '06.  My doctor gave me a firm NO.  He told me that I was going to have to go at it naturally.

I am SOOO glad I did.  I spent the entire pregnancy HORRIFIED.  It turns out that I spent the worst of my labor with my daughter at home, having no idea that I was really in labor.  When I DID finally decide that I needed to go to the hospital, my water broke on the way out to the car.  I got to the hospital, they gave me the epidural immediately, and three hours later, she was here.  EASY.

Don't let fear make you do something like a c-section unless you need to have it done.  Seriously.  The medical community is STILL unsure as to what effects all of the elective c-sections are going to have within the coming years.
Kittykrazy
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 3:40 AM
I was scared to death to have my kids but I did it  naturally. I mean no meds no IV nothis and both girls were totally differen't. C-section is a major surgery. Its okay to be afraid but women have been doing this for years! You can do it. You have all your cafe moms pullin for ya. I don't lie when I talk about it. It is painful but every bit worth it when you see that little baby. Its amazing. Hang in there girl!
erfrye
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 3:47 AM
i had three babies all natural(no drugs or anything, though I did give birth in a hospital), and I would do it again god willing.  i think the risks of a c-section far outway the risks of natural childbirth.  it is a major surgery.  and like a previous post said its better for you and the baby to do it naturally.  good luck!
lyfzgood2me
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 4:06 AM

It is perfectly normal to have concerns about delivery. It doesn't matter how many kids you have, you will worry about every single one and about everything that can happen. Before, durring and after birth. I have had 2 c's. I don't recomend it. If I had the choice I would have gone natural. I am glad I was able to have my girls, but everything about it was horrible. I heal quick too and have a high tolerance for pain but even this was difficult. c sections are more common and the risk is low, but natural is best. Voice your concerns to your new doctor. I'm not saying don't trust your gut. But ask yourself if it's really womans intuition or just pregnacy/ premom jitter's. Either way, try not to worry too much, it will only do more harm than good. Good Luck...

keaton24
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 4:32 AM
I was very scared to have a baby. Worrying about all the things that you are except that me and my husband did NOT want me to have a c-section. I  was induced 3 days after my due date. I went through 16 hours of labor and still only dilated to a 7. I ended up having a c-section, I was not an emergency c-section cause evrything was fine the baby just had not dropped down far enough and he was face up instead of down. I was in alot of pain afterwards. I couldn't get up to take care of my baby b/c I had just had surgery. After I left the hospital I got to sleep on the couch cuz it waas most comfortable... Then I had to be put on antibiotics after my staples were removed cuz I got an infection. My incision popped open 2 days later. I had to have gauze packed in the open place for a week. NOw that hurts even with the pain meds I had. You really dont want a C. The dr. and  nurses will take care of everythng they watch you very closely. They will know if something is wrong.
KWS
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 6:00 AM
Here's coming from a Mom who had a c-section.  Eventhough it was not elective, I believe that my doctor had some inclination that it would happen. 

Most doctors will perform C-Sections and would rather perform C-Sections.  Does anyone remember all the articles in the Summer of 2005?  I was mortified that hospitals were "technically" forcing women to have c-section.

Anyway, its perfectly normal to feel scared.  The best way to handle it is to speak with your doctor.  They will help you with a "plan".  That way you will feel you have some control.  And, you will have some idea what to expect. 

Unfortunetly or fortunetly for me, the next time (if there is a next time) I will need to have a scheduled c-section.  My doctor does not believe in vbacks.  She thinks they are too risk. 

Good Luck and Congratulations
mikeslouie
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 6:35 AM
You are at a higher risk of something going wrong with an electic c section that a natural birth dear. if the docs think there is something wrong they will take you to the or and do a c section but I have never heard of someone doing one elective.
kahlersmama
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 10:39 AM
I guess I'm the odd one out.  I'm only planning on having one more child, BUT, any children I have will be c-section.  My first child was delivered through c-section after 29 hours of maternal exhaustion.  My decision to go c-section is personal, not medical.  If everything is safe, I would rather be cut then go through pain that I don't have to go through.  I believe that if a doctor can get my baby out in under 30 seconds by cutting, then I would rather do that should something bad happen.  I don't want to sit there and try and push my baby out when there is a chance that that precious time could be wasted and possibly hurt him.  Thank god I have a doctor with an open mind. 
girly27
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 10:56 AM
I had my first daughter naturally, and i tried to have my second one naturally but that didn't go so well, I was so stressed out about the labor and so scared about the complications that i worked myself up so bad that my blood pressure dropped too low and my daughters heartbeat dropped too, it continued to drop until it stopped, I was then rushed for an emergency c-section. My daughter had to have cpr to get her heart going again and in the process they put a little hole in her lung called a nemothorax, she then developed a small infection in the lining of her lungs and spent 6 days in the NICU. When I got pregnant with my third girl I talked with my doctor and we both agreed to have an elective c-section for the safety of both of us, my anxiety got really bad toward the end but afterwards when I had a completely complication free delivery I was so glad that I had gone with the c-section instead of risking both our lives. Yes it is a longer healing process and with anything there are risks too, like to much fluid in their lungs and developing   pneumonia,  Anyways, so many different doctors have their own believes but I feel you should do what feels right for you. Good Luck!
motherofthree81
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:25 PM
Honey I had three sections, but for medical reasons at the time.And yes I did fine each time, but this is your first child. Relax, take a deep breath and know that GOD is GOD. He created our bodies to give birth, and most without complication, and when there are complications HE gave dr.s the brains to know what to do.
Your body will expand and do as it needs to deliver your child, trust in HIM and wait on nature to lead you to the best decision for you and your baby.
Good luck  honey.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)