Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

White blood cell count 16,000? (UPDATE)

Posted by on May. 13, 2008 at 12:46 AM
  • 10 Replies
My friend Liz just called me from Las vegas where she is in the hospital with her little girl Evangaline who will be 9 months on the 16th of this month. She has been sick for almost 2 days and now the Doctors are saying that her white blood cell count is @ 16,000 when normal is 400. I didnt want to ask her any questions, just said I would pray for her tonight and my phone will remain by my side @ all times. Can someone tell me if they ever heard of this and what it could be? I know what one possibility is and I cant even get my mind around that happening to my good friend. Any ideas ladies?

So Liz was able to finally leave the hospital this afternoon with her little one! They found out it was a double ear infection and nothing more! Liz thanked me for talking with you ladies and said to thank you for the prayers cuz they must have worked!

Tania (Loving mother of 4)
by on May. 13, 2008 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
seannysmommy20
by on May. 13, 2008 at 12:48 AM
White blood cells are what fight off infections and bacterias, viruses, etc.

White blood cells (leukocytes) help fight infection in your body. A normal white blood cell count is between 4,500 and 10,000 cells per microliter. A high white blood cell count (leukocytosis) isn't a specific disease. But it may indicate an underlying problem that requires medical evaluation. Causes of a high white blood cell count include:

• Infection
  • Use of certain medications, such as corticosteroids, antibiotics or anti-seizure drugs
  • Severe physical or emotional stress
  • Chronic bone marrow diseases such as a myeloproliferative disorder
  • Acute or chronic leukemia
  • Tissue damage, such as from burns

So that actually isn't too high.
mommy2Kailey
by on May. 13, 2008 at 12:50 AM
That's not outragiously high, but there is definitily an infection of some sort going on.  I'll pray for her. Hopefully it's not anything serious!!
JMCSMAMA
by on May. 13, 2008 at 12:57 AM
Thanks for the quick replies, I'm feeling better already. Liz is the sweetest girl I know and LIVES for her children. I'm scared for her right now and wish I could be in the E.R with her but I'm in Wisconsin and she is all the way in Vegas. I told her I knew exactly where to go to gets lots of prayers for her and her baby so here I am! Thanks ladies!
frogger11
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2008 at 12:59 AM
I'm sending prayers their way!  I hope everything works out for the best!

~Jessie~ Proud momma to my beautiful Audrianna!!
so.this.is.love
by on May. 13, 2008 at 12:59 AM
it could be something as simple as a minor infection.

don't get too worried just yet.

please do an update when you find out what's wrong.

fairymom1183
by on May. 13, 2008 at 12:59 AM
i agree,but hell i just found out last week they prick ur finger to see if you have pneumonia so don't count on me to much in this area but tell ur friend her and her daughter are in my prayers
Quoting mommy2Kailey:

That's not outrageously high, but there is definitely an infection of some sort going on.  I'll pray for her. Hopefully it's not anything serious!!
tracy227
by on May. 13, 2008 at 1:02 AM
Normal is 4000 - 10000 - so it's high but not too high....USUALLY a high white count indicates infection.
JMCSMAMA
by on May. 13, 2008 at 1:14 AM
When  liz text me this before we actually talked on the phone, I wonder if she meant to write that normal count is 4000 not 400? That seemed like such a huge difference to me. I just sent her a message and told her lots of women are praying for her right now. I hope that helps her a little to know that other Mommies are thinking of her right now. Thanks again ladies!
morganlaine
by on May. 13, 2008 at 1:19 AM
my daughter wentinto the hospital with a 32 thousand white count and they said the normal was 10 thousand...they never found out what was wrong with her just kept her there for 5 days on antibiotcis and we got to come home when she went 24 hours with no fever...i hope she is ok  :)
JMCSMAMA
by on May. 13, 2008 at 1:24 AM
I can't believe I have 4 kids and I knew nothing about this. I guess that makes me lucky but also sad for what other moms have gone thru. It really makes me appreciate what I have. I just wish it didnt have to take someone elses heartache for me to realize just how lucky I am.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)