Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:18 AM
  • 9 Replies
Can an employer make you take maternity LOA because you've been been put on a weight restriction by the doctor? Last month they put me on 25 pound restrictions and this month they moved it to 15 now my boss says I have to take leave or get it moved back to 25 poundsbecause I work in a warehouse and we have to lift 50 pounds and I'm not going to be able to perform half my duties he says
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Juann25
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:21 AM
I'm not positive, but I don't think they can do that. How far along are you?
I'm pretty sure that it is there responsibility to find you something else that you can do.
aehanrahan
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:23 AM
I think it might depend on your job.  With my last job, I was part of a union and it specifically stated that the employer must make arrangements to work around any restrictions that may be placed on a woman who is pregnant or just delivered.
cridina_rose
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:26 AM
I'm almost 7 months pregnant I'm trying to get ahold of someone from the dept. of labor but they keep transfering me
aehanrahan
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:28 AM

Quoting cridina_rose:

I'm almost 7 months pregnant I'm trying to get ahold of someone from the dept. of labor but they keep transfering me
Can you find any info online?  That's how I found my union info.
Sheri_D
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:33 AM
No, they cannot make you take your leave early as long as your doctor says you can work. Your boss seems to be insensitive. Speak with someone over your boss's head or contact your local labor law office.
Liz814
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:35 AM
CONTACT THE DEPT. OF LABOR THATS AGAINST YOUR RIGHTS YOU CANOT BE FORCED TO LEAVE EARLY THATS DISCRIMINATION.
melissa26101
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:39 AM
I'm going to assume every state is a little different, but I have to agree I don't think they are allowed to "force" you to take maternity leave most companies will find light duty work for someone with medical restrictions.  I'm sure your employer is just worried that something may happen to you or your baby and he's trying to protect you and his company.  You should definately keep trying to get ahold of the dept of labor to find out for sure.  You might even ask your boss for a copy of the labor laws I would think most supervisors would have your states labor laws.  Good Luck
cridina_rose
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:55 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm glad other people agree with me I've got to calm down I'm way to stressed about it
motherofthree81
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 11:02 AM
Contact the human recourses department at your job abd check with their rules, then talk to your dr, and maybe a lawyer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)