Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need your opinion

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 11:05 AM
  • 12 Replies
On June 30th I am throwing a baby shower for my BFF and I am so excited. There will be some people from out of town and I plan on letting them hang out til whenever after the shower, plus I want to hang out with my BFF, she lives an hour away and we don't see each other that much.
Here's the bummer the next day DH's family is having their annual reunion an hour and a half away at 11 am-4pm. I said I may not go because I'll want to rest and clean up from the shower. DH is having a fit acting like it's just awful I missing this lame reunion, that I go to every year! Am I wrong in not going?

Hilary
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blessedmom8171
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 11:09 AM
That's a tough one. In my opinion, you are not wrong. However, you might be made to be wrong. I guess you just have to decide how big a deal that is for you.

I definately think this is a one time event and people should understand because you'll be back next year. I guess it's a bummer that your husband is upset about it. I think it would be easier if he was understanding about it then everyone else wouldn't really matter as much.

Would he go with the kids without you or if you don't go - nobody goes?
Gigireds
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 11:12 AM
I think you are right.  This is a one time thing.  The reunion is yearly.  He will get over it.  Or..Tell him if he wants to get up yearly with you and help you clean than you could go.  If you feel up to it that is. 
mommyof4mom2all
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 11:14 AM
THERE DOESN'T HAVE TO BE A RIGHT OR A WRONG. I THINK THERE SHOULD BE A COMPRIMISE. THE CLEAN UP CAN WAIT AND IF IT MEANS ALOT TO HIM THEN YOU SHOULD GO . IF IT WAS TURNED AROUND THE OTHER WAY YOU KNOW YOU WOULD WANT HIM TO GO. IT S ALL ABOUT BALANCE AND WE HAVE TO GIVE THEM EQUAL TIME OR THEY WHINE, SO DO THE RIGHT THING AND GO !
annabethsmommy
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 11:39 AM
Hi, I think you should try to go to the reunion.  Ask your hubby to help you clean up and then that won't be a problem.  Also tell him you will need to rest after the reunion so he can help with the kids after you all get home.  You never know you may go and have a really good time!
tlgreenway
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 11:45 AM

Quoting mommyof4mom2all:

THERE DOESN'T HAVE TO BE A RIGHT OR A WRONG. I THINK THERE SHOULD BE A COMPRIMISE. THE CLEAN UP CAN WAIT AND IF IT MEANS ALOT TO HIM THEN YOU SHOULD GO . IF IT WAS TURNED AROUND THE OTHER WAY YOU KNOW YOU WOULD WANT HIM TO GO. IT S ALL ABOUT BALANCE AND WE HAVE TO GIVE THEM EQUAL TIME OR THEY WHINE, SO DO THE RIGHT THING AND GO !

I agree.  You can put off the cleaning up.  You'll have to leave at about 9:30 or so and what parent ever gets to sleep later than that anyway?!
motherofthree81
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 11:48 AM
As a woman no, but as his wife....yeah, sorry. We understand the need to be at home and get the rest and just have a day cleaning up...but one of the joys of marriage is the sacrifice and consideration for the other.....if its important to him....go.
My grandma would say, if your husband ask or mentions something twice, it matters to him, no matter if he says it dont.
Hope you have fun, either way.
mammaoftwins
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 4:42 PM

Quoting blessedmom8171:

That's a tough one. In my opinion, you are not wrong. However, you might be made to be wrong. I guess you just have to decide how big a deal that is for you.

I definately think this is a one time event and people should understand because you'll be back next year. I guess it's a bummer that your husband is upset about it. I think it would be easier if he was understanding about it then everyone else wouldn't really matter as much.

Would he go with the kids without you or if you don't go - nobody goes?
The kids would go with him so really that's all people care about is seeing the kids.
mammaoftwins
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 4:44 PM

Quoting motherofthree81:

As a woman no, but as his wife....yeah, sorry. We understand the need to be at home and get the rest and just have a day cleaning up...but one of the joys of marriage is the sacrifice and consideration for the other.....if its important to him....go.
My grandma would say, if your husband ask or mentions something twice, it matters to him, no matter if he says it dont.
Hope you have fun, either way.
I like your grandma's quote, I could see how that makes sense :)
2007mommy2be
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 4:47 PM
Its kinda sticky but I feel like this ... see .... u said u go to it all the time and u also called it stupid. There for I think that even though u felt it was stupid .... u went anyways becuz u know how much it means to ur dh! Ok ... then on the other hand ... u say u dont see ur bff that much and its important to keep close friends. Im thinkin u should compromise. Maybe u can just find a way to fit all of it in. Do ur thing that one day and go with him the next. Maybe clean up later if ur not up to it that day. Or maybe as part of the compromise dh will help u clean up. Or maybe u can go late if ur tired. Can yall drive seperatly to the reunion?
Jesalyn724
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 4:53 PM
well, if you have 2 cars, you could possibly do both. just send the kids early with hubby so they are there on time and get to see everyone. you stay back, clean a little and spend time with BFF, then head on up there afterwards. That way, you still make your appearance. Your husband gets what he wants, gets to share you & the kids with his family. And you also win, b/c you get to spend time with your friend and also make hubby happy.Just a thought.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)