Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about getting pregnant

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 3:55 PM
  • 11 Replies

OK,  well hubby and I are wanting to start trying for our 2nd...thing is we didn't exactly try for our 1st, so I was wondering if any of you know if those at home ovulation tests work??  And are you suppose to only try when you are ovulating or just any time?? Thanks for your help ladies!

by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
italiancutie827
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 3:57 PM
ive heard you can get pregnant any time the chances just increase during your ovulation time...
nikki111
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 4:04 PM
I've heard that as well. Actually I had a conversation with a friend not too long ago and she told me that you could even get pregnant while on your period. Being the skeptic that I am of her and her thoughts sometimes, I googled it. Turns out that it is possible. I just found out that I am pregnant and we were definately not trying. I was even on the patch, lol. So I a pretty sure you won't have a problem, expecially since you didn't try last time either.
CharitysMom01
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 4:07 PM
I didn't have to use one (we got pregnant after 1 time trying) My sister-in-law used it but it didn't work for her. I hope the best for you.
wesamyevan2005
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 4:09 PM
Thanks ladies!  We are going to start trying Monday, so I will let you know!!!  Keep your fingers crossed for us!!!
bams
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 4:09 PM
I don't know about the ovulation tests. But a sure way to know when you are ovulating is chart your temps. Buy a basal body temp thermometer (Wal-Mart $8) and chart your temps and check your cervical mucus and positition. Here's a free chart site that works for lots of women! www.fertilityfriend.com But if you didn't have trouble with #1 then you probably won't with #2 either!!! Have fun trying!!!
amandasrainbow
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 4:12 PM
I wish you luck with getting prenant.
I've not ever used those kits; I too was wondering if they work myself.

Happy Wednesday;
Amanda
braggingmom
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 4:14 PM
All I know is that trying to hard is a bad thing. My husband and I tried for 3 years for our second pregnancy we finally gave up and we ended up getting pregnant with twins. too much sex lowers the sperm count I guess.
amgoutremout
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 4:17 PM
I never used one. But when my hubby and I started trying it took me couple months because of the birth control I had been using. So don't get discouraged if it takes a couple months. I took me 3 to get pregnant. Not too long in my eyes. But I am sure it will be easy. Have fun!
angel021825
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 5:24 PM
Well, when me and my husband were trying , i was using those athome ovualtion tests, but it seemed that i was never at the right time..so we just stopped..next thing i know im pregnant..i'm in the medical field so i know a little aboutit all..there are only a few select days taht you can conceive..based on a normal 28 day cycle, your best days to try are between day 14 and 21 or in other words about a week after your period..here i found this on a website..hope this helps..

If you normally have a 30-31 day cycle (from the first day of your period until the first day of your next period) ovulation will occur on cycle day #16-17 (fourteen days prior to the first day of your period). Therefore, you can become pregnant if you have intercourse on cycle day #15, 16, 17, 18, or 19.  If you are having trouble pinpointing the exact day of ovulation, I would suggest purchasing an ovulation predictor kit from the pharmacy and testing your urine starting on cycle day #15. Good Luck. Sometimes you can get a cycle that is longer than normal, but I would go by your normal 30-31 day cycles)
Dearmouse
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 5:35 PM
Okay I have 4 kids #1 & #2 no problem conceiving either one.  I got pregnant with #3 after a D & C to clear a miscarriage and I was on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen. #4 took about 1 year to create with the help of 3 months worth of ovulation kits (not cheap) but they do work. Don't bother with the ones that look like flashlights and have a light. It's a little microscope and I never could get it to work. The sticks that look like a pregnancy test do work. Good luck and best wishes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)