Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

URGENT!!!!!!!NEED IMMEDIATE RESPONSE

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 10:10 PM
  • 18 Replies
ok
i am posting this message in more than one groups to get more responses and the help i need.
i dont know how anyone will take it but i really need help. dont judge me on that....but do give me advice and the information needed.
i have been struggling with my anger all my life. its not that i get angry all the time but whenever i do, its really bad. i usually get along very well with other people...people who are not my immediate family. but when it comes to controlling my anger within family settings, i m finding myself failing continuously. it was not sooo bad and i dint care about it before i got married and have a child. now that i have a son who is 22 months old and who is very active and spirited, i usually find myself out of control quite frequently. i dont want my anger to affect my child in anyway but i am feeling myself helpless. i usually manage to supress my anger but at least once a week i get so helpless and tested by my son that i just burst out. and that poor little guy has to suffer which being of such a young age shouldnt have to suffer.
i dont want my anger to control my behavior specially with my child, and i dont want my son to learn to show his anger in a manner that i do. what i want from all of you is to please give me some information regarding where i can find counseling for anger management? tell me some effective anger management programs specially in collin county, tx area. as i cant affort to pay for these counseling programs so i want you to tell me about some community or state initiated program. this will really be a great help. it will nto only change my life but my sons too who really is great.

thanks to all of you
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KallahCallah
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 10:16 PM
First, I would suggest buying a punching bag for the garage.  I got one for mother's day.  Every night, go work yourself out!

Second, try adding Omega-3 to your diet.  It's a vitamin at the store and a natural mood enhancer - to avoid things like zoloft and wellbutrin, etc.

Go find some self help books at the library or stores.

Oh, get some yoga books or videos!  Meditative breathing (I learned in karate) - close your eyes - breath in through your nose count 5 and out through your mouth slowly count 15. Repeat until calm.

Also, maybe a dammit doll would help.  I have one!  Whenever I get really angry (before I had the punching bag), I would beat that thing against furniture or walls - no one and no thing got damaged but the doll and I would feel better.

Also, go buy your son a book called Five Minutes Peace.  Read it over and over again.  When you need to step back, tell him that you need five minutes peace and let you have it.  He'll be able to relate it to the book and probably give you the time.

I hope this helps!
JKFLuvColts06
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 10:19 PM
Do you have a family dr. or even an ob who you could call?  They may be able to help with some sort of referral.  Also, in my area, we have a non-profit group that has free programs to help families and stop child abuse (NOT saying YOU abuse your son).  These programs are there to help families deal with issues such as you're facing. That is the only advice I can give.  Good luck, I hope you can find the help you need!! 

Parenting is the hardest thing I have ever done, I certainly know how you feel.

marissa_denise
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 10:20 PM
Do you have medical insurance?  If so, a lot of them cover counseling.  I went to my Dr when my daughter was 9 months old for having horrible mood swings.  I would get soo mad at the smallest things, and emotional over everything.  He said it was PPD.  He asked if I could do counseling or if I would rather have medication.  I tried both.  The medication took about 1 month to "regulate" me, its now been 3 1/2 months since I started medication.  The counseling was helpful as well. 
Don't ever feel ashamed over this.  You should be proud of yourself for seeking help!
Good luck!
MelC1973
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 10:21 PM
you need a good vacation even if it is 5 minute shower, a walk outside or beating a pillow! i also have anger issues which can be depression-sounds strange i know. i have been on zoloft for 2 weeks and am not so angry anylonger. i don't always think medication is the answer but for me right now with an 8 week old it is...and i too have had anger issues my whole life. search online for "family services". good luck to you! melanie
rdmclarty
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 10:22 PM
Try googling counseling services for your local area. OR check with your fia office to see if they know of any.  Hope this is some help.  Where exactly in Texas are you at? My family lives near Dallas and I could ask them if they know of any and message you.  Let me know.
TerryOK
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 10:22 PM
wow. I commend you for recognizing your problem and seeking out help. I am not sure of how things work in Texas, but you could try to seek voluntary services through department of social services and they will usually hook you up with services in your community which could be counseling, etc.  Otherwise you could seek out services through your community like a church, or doctor, etc.
Good luck!
silvergirl2136
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 10:24 PM

Quoting KallahCallah:

First, I would suggest buying a punching bag for the garage.  I got one for mother's day.  Every night, go work yourself out!

Second, try adding Omega-3 to your diet.  It's a vitamin at the store and a natural mood enhancer - to avoid things like zoloft and wellbutrin, etc.

Go find some self help books at the library or stores.

Oh, get some yoga books or videos!  Meditative breathing (I learned in karate) - close your eyes - breath in through your nose count 5 and out through your mouth slowly count 15. Repeat until calm.

Also, maybe a dammit doll would help.  I have one!  Whenever I get really angry (before I had the punching bag), I would beat that thing against furniture or walls - no one and no thing got damaged but the doll and I would feel better.

Also, go buy your son a book called Five Minutes Peace.  Read it over and over again.  When you need to step back, tell him that you need five minutes peace and let you have it.  He'll be able to relate it to the book and probably give you the time.

I hope this helps!
That was fantastic advice!!!! I think I could use some of that advice!! 
klkoepfler
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 10:24 PM
You seriously need to confort the issues that are making you angry.  You can call any hospital and they will refer you to a anger management group or look in the yellow pages.  Some are even free. Blowing off steam is a temporary fix.  Talk about what is making you angry and let your feelings out and you will feel so much better.  Bottling them up inside is what is making you angry.
Good luck!
myangels97
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 10:25 PM

GIRL, I know what your feeling. But you need to see your family DR. There could be other things going on than just anger that you don't know about. Mine didn't snow ball until my husband was called to active duty with the military and I was left to raise our two kids alone. I would just go into fits of rage over little things. Well over time and quite a few dr's visits we found out that I'm bipolar. It's not as bad as it sounds, I promise. With the right medication no one will ever suspect. I know they don't with me, cause when I tell people they are shocked. That was about 4-5yrs ago. And I feel great, I don't have those out burst anymore among other things. If you have any questions please contact me.

socialbug8204
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 10:27 PM
Do you have a Crisis Nursery down there?  We have them in Illinois and thats exactly the type of services they offer, its either free or on a sliding scale
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)