Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

how to tell if stitches are infected?

Posted by on May. 17, 2008 at 3:28 PM
  • 3 Replies
What signs would you look for to see if your vaginal stitches are infected? I've been to the doctor twice and she said that they were healing well, but after my last visit over 2 wks ago (that included a pelvic exam), the area was sore and it started to burn a little when I peed. It still feels that way now and occasionally stings in that area. My next appointment isn't for another 2 wks and I just want to make sure this is normal. I had a 1st degree tear, but developed a hematoma and had to go to OR to get it drained. My OB said that the tear was deeper b/c of it and more internal I think.
Firefighters wife Fireman
Daisypath Anniversary Years TickerLilypie Breastfeeding Tickerbabybaby

by on May. 17, 2008 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Blondee512
by on May. 17, 2008 at 3:30 PM
If the area is bright red, welted, streaking, warm to touch, or the stitches are sunk into the skin it may be infected. Warm moist compresses to the area can help. Call Doc to be safe.
Heartlight617
by on May. 17, 2008 at 3:32 PM
Redness, increased swelling and possibly foul smelling drainage are hallmark signs of trouble. Try lying down in stead of sitting to take pressure off them to see if that gives any relief. Check you temperature daily, too. When in doubt, call your doctor. Good luck!
Carol
luvmyangel22
by on May. 17, 2008 at 3:35 PM
mine burned for months after i had my child.  i am a nurse and i think that area is just sensitive.  it burned to have sex for like six months
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN